I have a custom-built PC, about one year old. Specs are as follows:

• Intel Core i7-6700K 4 GHz processor
    MSI Z170A Gaming M3 motherboard
    MSI R9 390 Gaming 8GB graphics card
    G.Skill Ripjaws Series 16 GB (2-8 GB sticks) DDR4 2133 RAM
    Crucial MX200 SSD (500 GB) (C:\)
    Seagate 4TB HDD (D:\)
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit OS

The machine started freezing up after anywhere between 15 and 60 minutes post-boot. One activity that will lock it up every time is queueing multiple video files to play under VLC Media Player (it will play a portion of the first file, then lock up), but almost any other combination of routine actions does the same thing. A typical load will be Quicken, Outlook 365, and Chrome browser running on three monitors.

The lockup is subtle. Trying to call up a menu or open a new window will cause the "Not Responding" warning to appear in that window border, and the rotating "busy" icon appears. It might accept one or two more commands, taking several minutes to execute each one, but eventually the system freezes altogether. I have to shut down with the hardware power button and restart the computer.

I've run several anti-virus (Norton, Malwarebytes, Avast) scans and always come up empty. Norton Security runs on startup, and it's always kept up to date. Windows System File Checker reveals no corrupt files. I created Windows Recovery USB stick prior to any problems surfacing, but trying to run it always fails, in regular or Safe Mode. Likewise, trying to restore from a system restore point created right after Windows was re-installed also fails. I have reinstalled Windows twice. The problem goes away for a few days, then returns as before. There is no overheating or venting problem. I stress-tested all the components before one re-install went south, and there were no problems. All Windows updates are current.

I've tried running Windows Event Monitor, but because the system freezes, I can't save the log. I'm not sure what to look for there, anyway.

I am out of things to try to fix this. Does anyone have any ideas?

start with makeing sure the mb and ssd have newest firmware and bios. one issue could be the wattage the gpu is pulling on the system. if it pulling more then the pci bus can give it may be causing sata and ram data loss. or if the power supply 12v output is not clean. one test is pull the gpu see if the rig runs fine if it still locks up try a test power supply see if it fine then. also check the mb vrm temps. if they get to hot they can cause a mb to lock up/.

Insomniac Jack

Respectable
Mar 22, 2016
I've got the same issue with random lock ups. I'm using AMD Ryzen and our only commonality is a Crucial SSD. My firmware and drivers are all up to date. I know there's a firmware update for crucial drives that came out in November 2016 it's worth checking into for you. I'm frankly at a loss. My hangs are non repeatable and are incredibly random. All I seem to notice is my whole system slows to a crawl with the mouse jumping all over when I try and move it and then it'll crash to black screen and I have to do a hard reset. I haven't the slightest idea what's causing it. The only good news is it's only happened 3 or 4 times in the month since I've build the system.