If a cpu says it supports 4K at 60 hz could I output 4K 120 hz from a graphics card?

Alec_22

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017
I'm thinking of building a system with a i7-7700k and a gtx 1080 but would I be able to output at 4K 120 hz? Does the cpus' onboard graphics output straight to the mobo graphics?

Solution
If you're using a discrete graphics card, then the max resolution/refresh rate supported by the CPU and/or motherboard are irrelevant. You plug your monitor into the graphics card, not your motherboard video outputs. Yes, the GTX 1080 can output 4K/120Hz (over displayport). It's not powerful to actual game at 4K/120 fps in modern games/high settings though.

KyleADunn

Honorable

Yes, you could display 4k @ 120hz on the GTX 1080. Plug your monitor into the GPU for this, not the motherboard, or you will be using the CPU's integrated graphics (doubt the Intel® HD Graphics 630 could even handle 4k @ 60hz on high+ gaming settings, but it could handle it for basic stuff).

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
If you're using a discrete graphics card, then the max resolution/refresh rate supported by the CPU and/or motherboard are irrelevant. You plug your monitor into the graphics card, not your motherboard video outputs. Yes, the GTX 1080 can output 4K/120Hz (over displayport). It's not powerful to actual game at 4K/120 fps in modern games/high settings though.

Solution

Alec_22

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017

Thanks for the quick answer, what frame rates do you think I could get on most modern games?