Which Monitor Would You Recommend?

ProggyHD

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015
Good Afternoon people of Toms Hardware. I am in the process of purchasing a new monitor for PC and Console gaming. I understand that FPS is locked to 60 frames so for Console only gaming, anything above 60 hertz is useless.. But I want to purchase a monitor that's great for both. My only question is what would be the best recommendation in the $300-350 range? I'm looking at the ASUS VG248QE, the Acer GN246HL (significantly cheaper). Obviously there's a reason the Acer is cheaper, I know it main use is VGA.

Anywho, obviously DVI and Display Port would be the ideal way to go considering you can't reach 144 frames using HDMI at 1080P, but would I need an HDMI 1.4 cable or would the port have to be 1.4 in order to achieve anything past 75? Or is my logic wrong and does HDMI output 120hz max at 1080p?

Also, the GPU I'm using is an ASUS 750 TI Strix edition, i'm going to upgrade eventually but for now it works. I can't seem to find what the max FPS I achieve with this GPU is at 1080p. Does anyone know from experience?

Thanks a lot everyone and please feel free to correct me in any way if my understanding of these standards is wrong!

Solution
The Acer lacks, well, all of the premium features. You are just paying for the LCD panel and a fixed stand. Not having Display port is a bit restrictive when you start looking at the higher end GPUs.

The ASUS stand comes with vertical, rotation on two axis, and the DP, HDMI, and DVI.

HDMI only supports up to 60hz. 1.4b and 2.0 support 120hz, so the only way to get 144hz out of the Acer is via DVI.

As for the max FPS for a 750Ti, well, that is completely dependent on what it is rendering. There really isn't an upper limit, but if you are talking contemporary gaming then it is a passable 1080p card. It would be a bit wasted on a 144hz monitor unless you were exclusively playing low GPU required games or running a lower resolution.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The Acer lacks, well, all of the premium features. You are just paying for the LCD panel and a fixed stand. Not having Display port is a bit restrictive when you start looking at the higher end GPUs.

The ASUS stand comes with vertical, rotation on two axis, and the DP, HDMI, and DVI.

HDMI only supports up to 60hz. 1.4b and 2.0 support 120hz, so the only way to get 144hz out of the Acer is via DVI.

As for the max FPS for a 750Ti, well, that is completely dependent on what it is rendering. There really isn't an upper limit, but if you are talking contemporary gaming then it is a passable 1080p card. It would be a bit wasted on a 144hz monitor unless you were exclusively playing low GPU required games or running a lower resolution.

Solution