Windows 10 from Pre-built system to new build. Will it transfer?

Burghy

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017
I bought a pre-built PC 5 years that came with windows 8. I did the free upgrade and upgraded the OS to windows 10. However I am currently in the process of getting parts together to build a new PC and was wondering if I have to re-buy windows 10, or if the usb boot system will work itself out and I can use the windows 10 from the previous computer. Thanks

Solution

If you update from win 7 or 8, then you can move licence once you attach it to email address.
If you buy win 10 on a PC it is locked to PC as SR 71 said

not all licences are linked to emails, if you never used your Microsoft Account's email as login on PC or haven't linked it via settings/update & security/activation, it is still linked to the PC. Some of us are just lazy and haven't linked it yet - me included.

JBURNS489

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
I have never successfully transferred a Windows installation from one HD to another... Supposedly there are ways to make it happen, but I have never figured it out. Hardware specific drivers seem to be the culprit. I want to see what suggestions people come up with too :)

Colif

Win 11 Master

If you update from win 7 or 8, then you can move licence once you attach it to email address.
If you buy win 10 on a PC it is locked to PC as SR 71 said

not all licences are linked to emails, if you never used your Microsoft Account's email as login on PC or haven't linked it via settings/update & security/activation, it is still linked to the PC. Some of us are just lazy and haven't linked it yet - me included.

Solution