Nvidia RMA taking 10 days since first contact, 6 days since escalated, nothing. Is there a funny side?

loki7777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2014
The good, brought a 1080Ti at launch, the bad, doing first tests and it wouldn't output at 1440p over HDMI, the screen flashed on and off every few seconds, but at 2160p and 1080p it worked ok. Thought it might be drivers, it wasn't because when new drivers came out, no difference.

So I contacted Nvidia support on the 2nd April (April fooled), after 4 days we'd looped and possible solutions were being repeated, so I asked to RMA mainly because the problem with the HDMI had gotten worse and it wont output at 2160p now either.

I was then told this case will be escalated to "level 2" (of the crappiest game I've ever played, Wa Ho). This was six days ago and like their graphics card Nvidia have stopped putting out information, all my screens are blank, nothing. So I tried support again, messaged, web chat and twitter, facebook next, stock answer "escalated, no ETA".

Am I being a bit obsessive and should I relax? Is this usual for Nvidia? Or I am I right to feel like a mushroom, left in the dark and fed on faeces.

Mod Edited for Language

I've never dealt with them. I buy from third party sellers like EVGA, Gigabyte, Asus, MSI and the like. If you have not contacted them for 6 days I'd get back on the phone with them. Buy from EVGA and you'd already have your new card back.

You have tried different cables right? Display port 1.4 vs hdmi 1.2

loki7777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2014
Thanks for the response, but it's an Nvidia 1080Ti founders edition, so It's direct through them..

I am assuming you bought the Founder's Edition directly through Nvidia which is why you are contacting them. If that is the case, I'd start bugging Nvidia. Get on their customer support forum. If you are not a member, sign up: http://www.geforce.com/community . Also get on their Facebook page and do the same. Start rattling cages. They do not like bad publicity. Don't threaten them, but be forceful that this is unacceptable. And it is. "Loud" customers unhappy with service always get the attention of management no matter what the business is.

EDIT: I just saw your response above that it was direct through Nvidia.

Exactly why I have only been buying from EVGA since 2009. For the first time ever in 20 years of PC building, last year I had a GPU go bad, a GTX 970 in my SLI rig. I gave them a bullet point description of the futile trouble shooting, and in 30 minutes I had my RMA# and instructions on returning the GPU. The following week, I got my replacement.

loki7777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2014

Neither have I before, been EVGA all the way, but got carried away after waiting for an upgrade and pre ordered the Nvidia Founders Edition, mainly to liquid cool it with a EVGA Hybrid kit, which not fitted yet because of fault.

I tried over both HDMI both 2.0 and DP and they're the same, it worked then switches off and now nothing, but have had issues before with DP sending power through the 20th pin, even with certified cables, Accell, so don't really trust DP.

TBH, want my money back now after the customer service and put it on a custom card instead, but would like to know whats happening before splashing the cash again. Only had two RMA's before, Amazon sent out new CPU before I'd returned the first and Corsair took one message to RMA a faulty H100i, both were a bit simpler problems than the GPU but still 6 days since they contacted me and with what could be a long weekend looking at probably 18th-19th at best and nearly 3 weeks of having a useless expensive paperweight

loki7777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2014

Yeah was Founders Edition, have asked for RMA and was told it been moved to "level 2" messaged again on the 7th told again escalated level 2 no ETA, yesterday web chat and the same, today on twitter nothing. Will try facebook tomorrow and get over to Nvidia forums see I can get a response that way.

Thanks for the advice, I'll be sticking with EVGA from now on, was just too tempting to get the FE then put EVGA hybrid cooler on it, didn't think it would matter which OEM, at least I know better now.

Nothing funny about it other than their absurd turnaround time. You invested an insane amount of money for the privilege and you learned how much they care about their customers. You KNOW EVGA will talk you through the entire process from pre-sales to RMA without a level 2.

at least I know better now.
that is the bright side.

loki7777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2014

Guess that's what happens when a company has such a monopoly, we've got your money, now procreate elsewhere!

The worst bit is I'm still going to buy another of their cards via EVGA

loki7777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2014
Is it bad form to go through the Nvidia forums and comment on every thread that complains about Nvidia support, so they'll go to the top of the list?

Because right now I think it would be quite funny.

No. you're not. You're buying another's card with their GPU and their GPU will not be a determent to the product. If it is EVGA will make it right well before them.

I've used Nvidia RMA 3 times; wait time has been 3 weeks to 13 days, depending, for me.