Stuck in A startup repair loop where none of the options work

doomtime

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017
Yea so....4-5 days ago I was installing + uninstalling a video converter program and for some reason it would not install after 5 or so attempts.Finally quit trying and restarted my computer. It started up fine but a message popped up saying your windows button is inoperable and restarted into a blue checking configuration\trying to repair screen,which then says cannot fix your comp and an advanced repair with multiple options.Tried pretty much all of them except earlier build. (windows7 dell laptop inspiron5520 with the free win10 update.) Tryed the mediacreation tool from Microsoft booted from a usb drive.Nope. Keep getting cannot fix your pc from all off them it. I am somewhat a novice but can follow instructions well. Of course I never created a system image (duh) Also got into the system diagnostics through the F 12 or 2. All the tests passed (did the thorough test too) So ripped the HD out off the laptop hooked it up through a usb drive adapter and holy crap my C drive was now E/OS(with like972 gig and 300 or so used) and there was a new c/recovery drive with maybe 30 gig or something and an X Administator drive. So wth! Copied anything I could off of it docs pics vids ect. Put it back in got into command prompt typed E: from the X it was in got there tried a few of the commands i could find FixMbr ,Bootfix something sorry cant remember all the commands it gave me to try but none of them helped. No clue why or how my os went to E/os drive where the X:administrator drive came from and also why there is a C:OS recovery drive with only 30 or so gigs. Any ideas? Is the a way for me to create a System image if i re hook it up to my desktop. I do have my original windows 7 install discs but i would love to be able to keep 10. Also there is a dashlane pswd file somewhere that i would love to find and keep.Tried going into program files X86 dashlane but the only thing there was the program exe file. Tried program data too. Well anyway any help would be appreciated

Colif

Win 11 Master
Have you coped everything off the old drive you want to keep? try making this on another PC: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/ or just copy everything off it on other PC you put drive in.

i think the 30gb recovery drive was created by dell but no idea why its seen as C now. If you put drive into another PC it wasn't booted off then the drive letters get reallocated based on what is already in PC. X is a ramdrive created by the USB you boot off normally

I would put drive into laptop, boot off the win 10 installer you made from media creation tool and fresh install win 10
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here)

doomtime

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017
Delete all of the partitions? I have Drive0 Partition1 39 mb OEM( reserved) Drive 0 partition 2 Recovery 13.8 gb System Drive 0 Parttition3 OS 917.7GB Primary Drive1 partition 1 ESD-usb 14.9 gb scary are you sure?

Colif

Win 11 Master
drive 1 would appear to be your USB so don't delete it... delete everything on drive 0 once you sure you copied everything off you want to keep. Then nothing to lose and you will get 52gb more free space back that was reserved by OEM and recovery partitions that you won't need again - they matched Win 7 and may have included old drivers for Win 7.

Win 10 creates 4 partitions when its installed but none of them (apart from C) need anywhere near 1gb. C will be about 967gb once you finished.

doomtime

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017
Sorry for the delay. Easter in the U.S. hit. Thank You tons for your help Colif. Though a little apprehensive about deleting the old Os I did it. Everything was clear sailing after that and your help was spot on. It's good to see that there is free and excellent help in these days of money money money. Your help got me there and was very much appreciated. Kudos to you

TRENDING THREADS