downloads obscenely slow despite reasonable test results

christofloffer

Prominent
Apr 13, 2017
really hoping to get a hand here as this in infuriating. i recently moved to a different area and just got set up again with BT infinity. i downloaded a couple of games from origin (battlefield 4 and battlefield 1 trials) and they both took 10+ hours to do. in the old spot the same pc/router/set up was downloading games in a couple of hours, so thats annoying in itself. i can get past that though as the speeds in this area may just be slower. what has really ticked me off though is trying to download a fresh driver for my graphics card, a 415mb file, started going and settled with a countdown of 10 mins and after 5 mins went by it jumped up to 5 hours!
i did a few speed tests on netmeter.co.uk and with nothing but the browser running it reports down - 9.4mbps, up - 9.3, ping - 28ms. then out of curiosity i tested again with the download running and it came back with, download of 9.32mbps. even during the battlefield 1 download it dropped to a minimum of 6.48mbps.
with the download today i am the only device running the internet so nothing else is swallowing the usage. i always run on a cable (i dont get on with wifi) so there is no leeching going on.

i am not very tech savvy but i am always learning, just try not to go too complex in answers if possible so that i can keep up. the pc should be happy to cope, its still fairly new (barely six months old) and a reasonable spec gaming set up, it is running two 1tb hard drives (one for operating systems, files, and origin. the other has steam, and music recording software). everything should be up to date and there are no other issues with the pc except this. browsing is still really fast too, even with downloads running.

i hope that lot makes sense, i tried to be as thorough as possible. could something be restricting the downloads somewhere?

Solution
9.4Mbps (megabits per second) works out to about 1.1MBps (megabytes per second) or about 4GB per hour.

BT Infinity is a FTTC connection and your download and upload speeds should be considerably better than what you're getting. If you moved within the last few days then a slower speed is perfectly normal as BT stabilise the line to achieve the best possible speed. If the speed hasn't improved after a few days then it's time to call BT.
9.4Mbps (megabits per second) works out to about 1.1MBps (megabytes per second) or about 4GB per hour.

BT Infinity is a FTTC connection and your download and upload speeds should be considerably better than what you're getting. If you moved within the last few days then a slower speed is perfectly normal as BT stabilise the line to achieve the best possible speed. If the speed hasn't improved after a few days then it's time to call BT.

Solution