Help regarding 144hz/1440p using different ports

J4M3S

Prominent
Apr 13, 2017
Hi there - I've just built my first gaming computer and I'm after a monitor to finish it off.

I'm looking for a 27 inch monitor with both a 144hz refresh rate and 1440p resolution. I landed on the Acer Predator XB271HU 27" but not fully decided on that yet.

My query - I found a quote from a review website and it states the following:

'One area where the XB271HU falls behind, however, is connectivity. Thanks to the limitations of Nvidia’s G-Sync image processor, this display has only two inputs: one DisplayPort and one HDMI. The former supports fast refresh rates and G-Sync, while the latter will allow up to 2,560 x 1,440 resolution at 60Hz.'

Does this mean I can't benefit from both 144hz and 1440p on the same input? Like HDMI or DisplayPort? Will I have to swap cables between tasks and things? Is there a monitor that can do both 144hz and 1440p on the one cable/input? Or is this just the way these things work right now? Or am I completely misunderstanding this quote?

Thanks in advance for your time.

PS. This is my build in case it's relevant here:

ASRock B250 Pro4
Intel Core i7 7700K
Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! Extreme 8GB GDDR5
16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance (2400)
650W EVGA SuperNOVA G2
NZXT Source 340 Mid Tower Case

Solution

I have the XB271HU (it's a great monitor!), it comes with a DisplayPort cable. That quote you mentioned is talking about G-Sync monitors in general... originally, they only came with a DisplayPort connection, and NO support whatsoever for HDMI or any other type. The more recent ones now include an HDMI connection, but it won't do G-Sync over it, and it'll only do 60Hz. The HDMI is only good for hooking up an external device like a PS4 for example.

With the included DisplayPort cable, you will get 2560x1440 resolution...

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
Just use Display port. Odds are that the monitor comes with a DP cable(most do). Display port will transmit sound and video and also gives the most options for video. That's your all in one solution. HDMI is more of a legacy option on monitors. HDMI can do sound and video but has significant limitations compared to DP.

When you get it, you'll need to go into the NV control panel to ensure that G-sync is enabled. It should recognize right away that the monitor is G-Sync. The newer consensus for the v-sync setting it to leave it at app. controlled but turn off in-game.

Make sure to also semi-regularly check your resolution tab to make sure the refresh is still at 144hz. Occasionally some things can mess with it(changing displays or resolutions or drivers).

J4M3S

Prominent
Apr 13, 2017
Are you saying that DisplayPort can't manage 1440p resolution in general?

If so is there any point in me spending extra £ on a 1440p monitor if I'm just going to be using the 1080p/144hz port?

Ideally I would like a monitor with the capability to have 1440p and 144hz in the same cable/input, is that a possibility?

Thanks again.

doggghouse

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013

I have the XB271HU (it's a great monitor!), it comes with a DisplayPort cable. That quote you mentioned is talking about G-Sync monitors in general... originally, they only came with a DisplayPort connection, and NO support whatsoever for HDMI or any other type. The more recent ones now include an HDMI connection, but it won't do G-Sync over it, and it'll only do 60Hz. The HDMI is only good for hooking up an external device like a PS4 for example.

With the included DisplayPort cable, you will get 2560x1440 resolution, 144Hz (actually overclocks to 165!), and G-Sync enabled. You'll definitely want to use DP for your PC.

Solution

J4M3S

Prominent
Apr 13, 2017
I took from that review quote that HDMI could go 1440p @ 60hz and DP at 1080p @ 144hz so it's good news I can do both 1440p @ 144hz on the DP.

One last question! Does anyone recommend a different monitor in line with the Acer Predator XB271HU? As long as it's 27 inch along with 1440p/144hz and G-Sync.

Thanks once more.

doggghouse

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
Acer XB271HU and ASUS PG279Q are basically the same monitor, so whichever is cheaper might be the way to go. (Though I think the Acer has slightly better quality control)

The XB271HU is an IPS panel, which most people prefer because colors don't suffer from shifts at the top and bottom of the screen (that happens on TN panels). However, you get some "IPS glow" in the corners of the screen during dark scenes. If you don't have a strong preference between IPS and TN, you could also look at a couple of TN monitors. They might be cheaper, and technically have faster pixel response times but you probably wouldn't notice unless you activate Ultra-Low Motion Blur mode.

TN monitors:
ASUS PG278QR (same stats as the others but TN instead of IPS)
Dell S2417DG (24" but still 1440p/144Hz)

edit: There's also the PG278Q (no R at the end) but it's an older version and has some issues with interlace artifacts that appear on fast moving images. Dell's S2716DG has the same problem.

J4M3S

Prominent
Apr 13, 2017
I took a look at the others you posted and think I will go for the Acer XB271HU. Although I found two types... are these differences important? Worth the extra £70 on the more expensive one?

£530 = http://www.ebuyer.com/748360-acer-predator-xb271hu-27-led-gaming-monitor-um-hx1ee-a01

£600 = http://www.ebuyer.com/722327-acer-predator-xb271hu-27-wqhd-ips-monitor-um-hx1ee-005?mkwid=sWA3N2WiH_dc&pcrid=51630194939&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=CKCWnrTOodMCFUoq0wod2XQEfQ

My website choices are limited as I'm having to pay via PayPal :pfff:

doggghouse

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013

Ok, the extra £70 one has the IPS panel, which is what I have. The cheaper has the TN panel. There are trade-offs between the two types of panels. Check out this website to see the difference: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/viewing_angle.php

If you are using an IPS panel currently, then the different test images should have consistent color, and you probably will barely see the "lagom" text in the first pic. However, on a TN panel, "lagom" will be visible at the top and bottom of the screen, and colors will generally be darker at the top and lighter at the bottom. IPS doesn't have that problem. You can see the TN panels demonstrated if you scroll to the bottom of the page.

On the other hand, IPS suffers from something called "IPS glow," which means that blacks have kind of a glowing/shimmering quality to them, particularly in the corners of the screen. If you tend to play a lot of dark games (ex. Witcher 3) in a dark room, or like to watch movies with black bars on top & bottom, then this may be distracting for you. TN panels don't have that problem.

Generally, most people prefer IPS because it doesn't suffer from the color shifts. However, TN doesn't have the IPS glow on dark scenes, and the pixel response is a bit faster. Unless you're super sensitive to that, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference (i.e 3ms transitions instead of 5ms).

One other thing... I haven't read any reviews of the XB271HU with TN panel, so I don't know if it has the glitch like other high refresh TN panels where it puts an interlaced pattern on certain colors. Newer ones fixed the problem, but I can't say for certain about that particular monitor with TN.

J4M3S

Prominent
Apr 13, 2017
That's great - I have an oldish 24" £100 Asus monitor so I guess either will be a nice improvement.

Thanks again for the research you did and to everyone else for your time too - much appreciated.