No user/password prompt upon boot

PM2888

Prominent
Apr 13, 2017
Hi all. When booting windows 10, my user/password box is missing. This is preventing me from logging in and accessing my computer. I am aware of booting in safe mood (shift+restart), the only problem is, that isn't working either. I'm at a complete loss at this point. I'm running a simple Lenovo 100s, without a disk drive. All help and input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Solution

This happened to me a few days ago. I've had such fun with Windows 10 :-(. This is a new Dell XPS 8910. Not sure what happened but all or a sudden there was no way to log on. Here is the fix I used per Dell.

Shut the computer off using the power button. Then plug it back in and press it again to start. As soon as the...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Do you have the option to 'switch user'? If so, select that, and then user ctrl+alt+del which should hopefully prompt you to login at that point.

This was a know issue when W10 launched, but I thought it was long-since rectified.

If/when you can get in, I would suggest backing up your data & checking for updates. If no updates are available, I would suggest a clean install to fix the problem long-term.

PM2888

Prominent
Apr 13, 2017

Unfortunately I am unable to switch users.

Colif

Win 11 Master
start PC, when it starts to load windows, hit reset button repeat that pattern 3 times will load automatic startup
It might fix it, if it says it found nothing, choose advanced options
this loads advanced start up

can try start up repair or try to get into safe mode.
1. Start up repair
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

2. Safe mode
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
PC will restart and load safe mode

sometimes just going into safe mode can fix this.

Cameochi2

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017

This happened to me a few days ago. I've had such fun with Windows 10 :-(. This is a new Dell XPS 8910. Not sure what happened but all or a sudden there was no way to log on. Here is the fix I used per Dell.

Shut the computer off using the power button. Then plug it back in and press it again to start. As soon as the mfg logo shows up, unplug the power cord. Do this two more times (a total of three). The computer will go into reset mode and you will be able to choose whether or not to save your files. I had to do this when mine had the problem and in my case it worked. Fortunately, I had everything backed up on an external hard drive just in case but opted to save my files and all is well.

Solution