P4 3.4ghz rising to 100 degrees C! Help! »«

dacvak

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
First off, i'm typing this message with my Wii, so i apologise for the broken grammar and brevity.
My pc is currently giving me huge issues. my p4 3.4 prescott is booting at 45C and continually rising to 100C, even when in the bios only, from a fresh cool boot. i've touched the heatsink, and its really getting that hot. fans are working. just randomly started doing this. windows xp boots but my computer forcefully shuts down after a few minutes. heatsink and paste are on properly. any ideas anyone?
Thanks,
~Dac

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
First off, i'm typing this message with my Wii, so i apologise for the broken grammar and brevity.
My pc is currently giving me huge issues. my p4 3.4 prescott is booting at 45C and continually rising to 100C, even when in the bios only, from a fresh cool boot. i've touched the heatsink, and its really getting that hot. fans are working. just randomly started doing this. windows xp boots but my computer forcefully shuts down after a few minutes. heatsink and paste are on properly. any ideas anyone?
Thanks,
~Dac

QUICK! OPEN THE SIDE OF YOUR CASE AND SPLASH THE MOTHERBOARD WITH ICEWATER!!!!

Ok, just kiddin'...

Questions:

1) Is this a recent occurrence?
2) What HSF are you running?
3) Are you OCd?
4) What are utilities like TAT or SpeedFan reporting?
5) When you reboot after a hard crash are you doing so in Safe Mode?
6) What is your CPU usage at idle? (McAfee has this evil utility that randomly decides to run your CPU at 100% just for the halibut)
and last but not least:
7) 100C is not a record for a Prescott. I've seen 'em run hotter than that. But the crashing is worrying.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Thanks,
~Dac

QUICK! OPEN THE SIDE OF YOUR CASE AND SPLASH THE MOTHERBOARD WITH ICEWATER!!!!

Ok, just kiddin'...

Questions:

1) Is this a recent occurrence?
2) What HSF are you running?
3) Are you OCd?
4) What are utilities like TAT or SpeedFan reporting?
5) When you reboot after a hard crash are you doing so in Safe Mode?
6) What is your CPU usage at idle? (McAfee has this evil utility that randomly decides to run your CPU at 100% just for the halibut)
and last but not least:
7) 100C is not a record for a Prescott. I've seen 'em run hotter than that. But the crashing is worrying.You missed one...8 ). Do you live in Death Valley? :wink:

PS. All kidding aside, what is your ambient temp? Was the CPU just recently installed? If so, you should make sure(recheck...w/e) that the heatsink is making proper contact with the CPU. Also, this may sound obvious, are you sure the heatsink's fan is working(properly)? Even if you had a virus/trojan causing 100% CPU usage, it shouldn't get that hot. GL :)

dacvak

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
1) Yes, very. My CPU has always been a bit hot, like 50C or so, but nothing like this.
2) Stock, with AS5
3) No
4) Not sure, can't really get into Windows. BIOS says the fan is at around 2300 RPM, or whatever normal/fast is.
5)Yes. Even when I don't boot into windows and just enter my BIOS to check temperatures, it starts at around 45-60 and slowly rises to 100C and beyond.
6)Normally it's around 2-3%. When it started doing this, I noticed it was around 7-18.
7) My BIOS doesn't report anything past 100C, so it's possible it's getting hotter. Plus, I didn't want to leave it on to find out how hot it could get.
8) Nope. =P

~Dac

triatium

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
hey there

there're some extremely relevant questions from other posters.

I would like to ask, what is the ambient room temperature where the pc is located, have you checked your bios voltage settings, and, as another point, have you tried swapping out the psu with another? also, how exactly are your fans positioned? if you havent got em installed correctly or something to maximise efficiency of airflow, then they're just for show.

not dissing, just trying to collect info you know? i thought that the absolute heat tolerance was about 100 deg. c, so i thought that your chip was fragged, but glad it aint. that would've sucked hairy bollocks.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
hey there

there're some extremely relevant questions from other posters.

I would like to ask, what is the ambient room temperature where the pc is located, have you checked your bios voltage settings, and, as another point, have you tried swapping out the psu with another? also, how exactly are your fans positioned? if you havent got em installed correctly or something to maximise efficiency of airflow, then they're just for show.

not dissing, just trying to collect info you know? i thought that the absolute heat tolerance was about 100 deg. c, so i thought that your chip was fragged, but glad it aint. that would've sucked hairy bollocks.

Penis Fly Traps, Sucking Hairy Bollocks, is there something in the air today? :lol:

Good points Triatium and Tanker. Dacvak, I think we may be running out of suggestions. It certainly is strange. Prescotts run HOT. That's common knowledge. But around 50C under most circumstances is usually the norm with some really heavy usage spikes around 60-70C. They can be coaxed to over 100C but it really isn't a great idea. Something is using your CPU, but nowhere near enough to run the temps this high.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
i thought that the absolute heat tolerance was about 100 deg. c, so i thought that your chip was fragged, but glad it aint. that would've sucked hairy bollocks.
Prescott's are one of, if not the hardiest chips going. I have a 2.4GHz Prescott , and it's highly O/Ced. One night i was watching tv(comp was ~ 6 feet from me), and i smelled something burning . At that time i was running it @>3.8GHz(1.575v) with an XP-120/120mm 86cfm fan. I looked in through the case window, and the fan had stopped. I looked over at the MBM icon in the sys. tray, and it read 95C. I shut it down, no probs...still running @ 3726 1-1/2 years later. They may get little to no respect, but they are a tough chip. :wink:

dacvak

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
room temp is 65F. voltage is at defaults. fans are positioned fine. this computer ran for a year with no overheating problems. i'm not necessarily looking for a solution, just ideas on what the problem might be. everything is properly seated and installed. this just started happening.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
You mean like this? :D

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=638&num=1

I love those pix of the motherboard in the snow pile! They should just attach a 1.1KW PSU and boot 'er up! :lol:

room temp is 65F. voltage is at defaults. fans are positioned fine. this computer ran for a year with no overheating problems. i'm not necessarily looking for a solution, just ideas on what the problem might be. everything is properly seated and installed. this just started happening.

I think I'm at the end of my ideas. Can't really see any reason why the thing turned into a furnace all of a sudden.

HDDFreak

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Did you ever replace the heatsink yourself or take it off and put it on? Don't know if it is actually possible, but maybe your thermal paste dried out. You could try reapplying the thermal paste if you know how. Google it, there are a billion topics on it, not to mention guides :wink: .

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Did you ever replace the heatsink yourself or take it off and put it on? Don't know if it is actually possible, but maybe your thermal paste dried out. You could try reapplying the thermal paste if you know how. Google it, there are a billion topics on it, not to mention guides :wink: .

Dunno. AS5 is damn good stuff and you'd have to really abuse it to dry it out.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

Dunno. AS5 is damn good stuff and you'd have to really abuse it to dry it out.Also, it wouldn't just dry out...all of a sudden. It would start drying out, hardening, etc. and temps would start climbing..over a period of time.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Also, it wouldn't just dry out...all of a sudden. It would start drying out, hardening, etc. and temps would start climbing..over a period of time.

Yeah. It's gotta be something that just happened. What's the Vcore reading? Maybe something went south on the motherboard or the PSU or???

Oh, BTW, Tanker... The local forecast for Sunday is +28C and sunny. I take it that it might be a touch cooler in your neck of the woods? :wink:

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Also, it wouldn't just dry out...all of a sudden. It would start drying out, hardening, etc. and temps would start climbing..over a period of time.

Yeah. It's gotta be something that just happened. What's the Vcore reading? Maybe something went south on the motherboard or the PSU or???

Oh, BTW, Tanker... The local forecast for Sunday is +28C and sunny. I take it that it might be a touch cooler in your neck of the woods? :wink:Didn't know you got to see the sun much in prison. :eek: hehehe -18C here...nighttime, -15C daytime. :x

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Didn't know you got to see the sun much in prison. :eek: hehehe -18C here...nighttime, -15C daytime. :x

Hey, we have a constitutional right to Vitamin D even here in the pen, dude! We get an hour out in the yard every day. We spend most of it using twinks for punching practice. :D

Damn that's cold for SW Ontario. Have you checked the balls on your brass monkey lately? That's more like Timmins temps. Today Iqaluit is hi -7 lo -9!!! And what happened to global warming? Is it just warming up the Arctic and turning the continent upside down???

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006

Anyone who looks at that current Environment Canada graphic and thinks its normal doesn't deserve to be on the next colonial rocketship... Let's get outta here before this planet finally decides to squish us all like bugs.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Thanks,
~Dac

what model of CPU heat sink are you using and how many case fans do you have?

also do the case fans take air out or bring air in? or what?I think everyone(almost)is missing the big picture here. Even with no case-fans, 100% load, and a sh*tty HS/F, it still shouldn't be hitting 100C. Either some mobo component is failing, the monitoring chip is malfunctioning, the HS/F isn't making good contact with the IHS, or something crazy has happened to the processor's innards. :wink:

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
I think everyone(almost)is missing the big picture here. Even with no case-fans, 100% load, and a sh*tty HS/F, it still shouldn't be hitting 100C. Either some mobo component is failing, the monitoring chip is malfunctioning, the HS/F isn't making good contact with the IHS, or something crazy has happened to the processor's innards. :wink:

100% Agreed. Time for a CPUxorcism. :D

SSS_DDK

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
100 C is too much..under any load!!!
I have a few possibilities for ya:
1-your temp sensor is nuts: (if it starts at 45 and the system doesn't crash at 90...it means it's the sensor)
2-if indeed it does crash, but it still starts at 45C and your fan is working at full speed, that means your paste is dead, but probably that your CPU (you say it always ran too hot) is faulty right from the start, and now leakage has gone too high.
3-if you installed a new case fan behind the CPU, or for some reason a new power supply with a strange airflow, this could cause the internal air flow above the CPU to go in a closed loop, thus no longer evacuate heat..

So 1-check your fan, 2-clean up the CPU radiator(dust can get in tremendous amounts in there....just blow some dry air in it) 3- open the case, get some large 10$ fan from the store and shove it right in front of the opening....it will get any CPU(as well as your feet) ice cold....

I once did that with my P4 RD RAM PC1066 (yeah, the bill still hurts)..i was running it for 4 days under maximum CPU load non stop (compiling) ...so the extra 15 inch large fan came in handy

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
100 C is too much..under any load!!!
I have a few possibilities for ya:
1-your temp sensor is nuts: (if it starts at 45 and the system doesn't crash at 90...it means it's the sensor)
2-if indeed it does crash, but it still starts at 45C and your fan is working at full speed, that means your paste is dead, but probably that your CPU (you say it always ran too hot) is faulty right from the start, and now leakage has gone too high.
3-if you installed a new case fan behind the CPU, or for some reason a new power supply with a strange airflow, this could cause the internal air flow above the CPU to go in a closed loop, thus no longer evacuate heat..

So 1-check your fan, 2-clean up the CPU radiator(dust can get in tremendous amounts in there....just blow some dry air in it) 3- open the case, get some large 10$ fan from the store and shove it right in front of the opening....it will get any CPU(as well as your feet) ice cold....

I once did that with my P4 RD RAM PC1066 (yeah, the bill still hurts)..i was running it for 4 days under maximum CPU load non stop (compiling) ...so the extra 15 inch large fan came in handy
The thing that makes me think the temp sensor isn't the problem, is that the HS is (apparently) quite hot to touch. That means that it is, in fact, dissipating a lot of heat. My overclocked Prescott is pumping >1.5v, and even though i have a great HS/F(XP-120), it's never..ever, hot..or even barely warm. :?

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006

When did you buy that? Didn't RD-RAM come out around 2002 when 512MB of 400MHz DDR RAM was uber?

As for the 100C cpu? I'm saying faulty sensor. I honestly would have though that the CPU would have been melted at that temp though.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
As for the 100C cpu? I'm saying faulty sensor. I honestly would have though that the CPU would have been melted at that temp though.

Nah. Nobody believes me but I've seen a Prescott run at over 110C. Verified.I believe you FUDMAN. :wink:

TRENDING THREADS