System Thread Exception Not Handled/unable to restore

DrewinKC

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017
So. Woke up this morning. Noticed my PC on the restore screen. Said ain't nobody got time for that and shut her down and went to work. Got home and decided to mess with it with the help of Google. I'm kind of at a stand still now. I've done a chkdsk, tried safe mode (just boot loops), and I've tried a system restore but get an error with that as well. The error on restore I get is: System Restore fails: AppxStaging %ProgramFiles%\WindowsApp 0x80070091. All fixes point to the PC fully booting itself or in booting safe mode, or at least that I've been able to dig up. It randomly happened over night (went to sleep at 3am, woke up and saw it at 9am), so I don't know if a Windows update caused the issue or it was something else. I'm trying to not reformat the PC as I'm unsure really if I have things properly backed up (yeah that's my fault).

Any ideas?

Specs:
Corsair 750D Case
Skylake i5 w/ h100 closed loop
R9 X Fury
ASUS VIII Mobo
16gb DDR4 3200
Crucial SSD
Win10 Pro (and of course I cannot find my CD key ><)

DrewinKC

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017
@viveknayyar007 (sorry can't seem to locate a reply button on mobile)

I attempted this after finding it on Google and the first command said it was unable to complete due to an active repair session and it wanting me to reboot, which if I reboot it retries to repair. The second command that I saw to run after the one you recommended (bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy) would complete successfully but did not resolve anything unfortunately.

I may be overlooking it but is there a way I can get it to boot to CMD prompt without attempting a Windows repair so I can at least attempt the first command?

Thank you for the reply!

Edit: oh goodness. I'm a doofus. Your post literally states how to get to CMD prompt without windows attempting to repair first! I will try this when I am home from work! I should probably click and read the links and not think I know what I'm doing. :p

DrewinKC

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017
@viveknayyar007

Okie dokie... Tried the above boot method with a win 10 recovery iso burned to a DVD.

Attempted the d:\ scannow, switch included, got "windows resource protection could not start the repair service.

I assumed it was meant to be my system drive, so I tried it with c:\ instead and got a beginning system scan then an immediate "there is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart windows again and run SFC again"

For giggles I just tried "sfc /scannow" by itself. It got to a verification 100% complete. Then an immediate "windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation"

:(

I'm going to try and reseat the RAM and gfx card since I've got some time tonight... And I'm all out of ideas.

DrewinKC

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017
Reseated RAM and graphics card. Still scrounged Google for any other options. I'm about to chalk it up as a loss and reformat. :/ Already spent about 5-6 hours and have been unable to get anywhere. :(

Hello again

Just to confirm, did you type the SFC command as below (without quotes)?

" sfc /scannow /offbootdir=d:\ /offwindir=d:\windows "

To clarify, when you boot a PC to Command Prompt externally (with a bootable media), your current directory is x:\sources. At this point, C:\ drive is the temporary system drive and D:\ drive has all the Windows files. When you boot normally, temporary system drive (C:\) gets hidden and the D:\ drive with all the Windows files becomes the C:\ drive.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!! :)

DrewinKC

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017
Welp. Bit the bullet and did reset this PC... Booted after reset. Went to go install Google chrome and bam. BSOD with same error. I guess once I reset it again I'll try running those commands instead of immediately installing things.

Edit: hah! Just kidding! Attempted to reset again and got the same BSOD! Looks like full reformat it is! (Did it with keeping files both times, first time worked for a little bit, second time no dice)