Temperature too high. I5 6600k and H100i V2

Henry97

Reputable
May 9, 2016
Hi,

I've bought a i5 6600k and Corsair H100i V2 recently and after overclocking it, I've come across with 2 problems:
1) The temps are too high.
2) The fans are too noisy

1) After assembling, I've managed to overclock it to 4.5 GHz but while stressing temps were reaching ~95 to 100C (intelburntest). While playing CS (the game where temps went higher) , max temp were usually ~75 ºC in one or two cores. I've found this interesting and weird since my friend could get to 4.3GHz in a 5th gen i5 with a cheap air cooler and keep it under 75.

Now that is hotter, ~25ºC room temp I've noticed that after playing CS I've reached 80C.

Is this normal? Shouldn't I be able to get lower temps? Can I check if everything is going write in anyway (for example: checking the water temps and comparing them to the cpu).

Motherboard MSI Z270 Tomahawk and voltage on auto.

2) I would like to make my system less noisy... what would be the best fans to replace the default ones (they need to fit in the radiator).

Thanks a lot :)

Henry97

Reputable
May 9, 2016

Ok, I'll see if anyone gives another suggestions.... if not, I'll re-apply it. It came on the cooler out of the box so the only reason why it wouldn't be applied correct is if I didnt screw it enough or screw it too much into the mobo. How do I know when to stop?

Thanks

Henry97

Reputable
May 9, 2016

sounds like the thermal paste is not working.

pull it, clean it, and re-apply it.

I'll try to do that then, thanks to both for the answers!

Latest posts