In need of a new monitor.

Flarko

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017
Im looking for a new monitor bcs im getting a new gaming system
(specs : i7700k and 1070)
So the monitor im looking for is 144/180/240 hz/ 24 inch/ 1080p /1MS Gaming monitor. Colors don't have to be fantastic as im not doing any editing , photoshopping etc.
Budget: around 500 euros --> 520 dollarsish.
I've seen these already:
-Acer Predator XB241Hbmipr TN+Film 24" Zwart, Rood Full HD

-Asus ROG Swift PG248Q

-Benq xl2540

The thing I'm worrying about is tearing.I don't know how much im going to notice it and how bad it is going to be. Asus and predator have g-sync but benq has higher refreshrate.
But then again: Do i really need g-sync while having a 144hz screen?

Games I will be playing : PUBG , A lot of counter strike go, overwatch , battlefield 1 , gtav, ...
A mix of games with high framerates : cs and OW.
but also games like gta or battlefield which have lower fps but look a lot better.

I could use some help in my decision in which monitor i have to chose and which are good quality , ...

Note: The predator monitor is the cheapest. About 20 dollars lower than asus and benq. Benq and asus are about the same price.

Solution

wait wait did you just say 27 inches is too big?
Because the asus is 27 inches, and the BenQ is 24.5 inches. (The Acer is smallest at 23.8)

I would go with the BenQ if the games you're playing can take advantage of the 240hz refresh rate. (which you probably don't need)

But, the Acer has g-sync which would get rid of that tearing...

ChaoticShadow

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016

I would normally suggest an asus monitor, but not that asus monitor. If you buy that Asus, it's basically a gamble. The quality control on that specific model is absolutely horrible. There is a chance that you can get a great monitor, but also a chance that you need to return it because of the horrible backlight bleed. (I suppose this could work out after a few returns, or you might get lucky and get it right the first time)

right now, this curved 1080p 144hz samsung monitor is discounted and a great buy
http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/curved/lc27fg70fqnxza-lc27fg70fqnxza/

the BenQ and Acer are decent too.

But, if you want a g-sync monitor to prevent screen tearing, you might want to expand your budget a bit.

Basically 3 general choices:

1. Take a gamble and go for the PG248Q (keep returning a few times until you get a good product)

2. Get the Samsung monitor, on sale for $300 something (usually $450 or so)

3. Increase budget to around $550 and get a decent g sync monitor

Flarko

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017
Which samsung monitor? Bcs couldn't really find another monitor..
If you have any links pls link them. Really appreciated.

Btw: Is it really that bad? LIke a gamble or do you need to be unlucky?

ChaoticShadow

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016

I did put a link.
http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/curved/lc27fg70fqnxza-lc27fg70fqnxza/

Flarko

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017
wow, LUL. Really late out here but thx.
Only problem: 27inch is abit too big. No space :/

One more question
How is the acer then?
IF the asus is a gamble of deadpixels en backlight bleeding ,
Is the acer any better?
I read some reviews of the asus having back light bleeding in the beginning of 2016.

It is almost mid 2017 , they still haven't fixed that for that price tag??

Thx in advance

ChaoticShadow

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016

wait wait did you just say 27 inches is too big?
Because the asus is 27 inches, and the BenQ is 24.5 inches. (The Acer is smallest at 23.8)

I would go with the BenQ if the games you're playing can take advantage of the 240hz refresh rate. (which you probably don't need)

But, the Acer has g-sync which would get rid of that tearing problem. The asus was wqhd, so if you liked that, you can get that on the acer by stepping it up and paying 499.99. https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-XB241H-bmipr-1920x1080/dp/B01LJUNMYK?th=1

Personally, I'd say go with the Acer I mentioned since the resolution can be powered by your 1070 (you can always scale it in-game anyways, although you probably won't need to with the games your playing) and also g-sync will get rid of any tearing fears.

You'll probably never be able to push out enough frames to match the BenQ's refresh rate so it'd just be a waste without g sync.

:) Good luck choosing!

(By the way, did you ever consider whether you wanted an IPS or TN panel since you chose both TNs and IPS panels)

Solution

Flarko

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017

Ok. Ill have to chose between the asus and acer then.

Thats all fair but the problem is backlight bleeding.
I read some reviews but most of them were close to the beginning of 2016.
So I don't know if it is fixed for the most part or still a gamble to buy them.

ChaoticShadow

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016

yeah, well most IPS panels have a backlight bleed problems if the quality control isn't good.