Convincing my parents to allow me to buy a PC

TheNosey

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017
Hello there (New to this). Im 16 years old and have been researching to build a PC for over a year now. I work freelance doing yard work for the community neighbours. So anyways, the PC i want to build is approx $1200 Canadian which will be paid for 100% by me! My dad for some reason is extremely strict and will not let me get it. His general reasonings are "we learned from your brother", "You can read", "You spend to much time playing video games, as it is"(I play a maximum of a hour and a half instead of leisurely watching tv) "Or you have other FAMILY computers that you can use". Lets start that the only computers that i can use at the moment are a base model mac mini or the brand new macbook air. This is fine and all but as the only game i can play is csgo at 30fps( U can't really use a small laptop for cogs), and lets not even start on edits. My mom will go either way because she knows the help I've done around the house and ability to maintain straight A's. Sorry about any grammar errors or misconceptions but i really need help:( Figured it was better to whip this off and answer any questions. Thank you

Solution
We get questions like this here ALL the time.
But there is really no way we out here can convince your dad to allow this.

$1200 is a not unsubstantial sum for propose to a dad who is not into this, no matter whose money it is.

USAFRet

Titan
We get questions like this here ALL the time.
But there is really no way we out here can convince your dad to allow this.

$1200 is a not unsubstantial sum for propose to a dad who is not into this, no matter whose money it is.

Solution

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Advice from strangers on the 'Net or a mature conversation with your parents. Which do you think will make a difference?

Speak with your parents and respect their wishes. If the answer is still no, you really have no choice but to abide by their rules until you are on your own.

Good luck.

Tech_TTT

Notable
Apr 4, 2017
Your parents want you to be productive and not to get addicted to games . You are 16 this means the Roaf to build your future has started . so focus on this until you have your own home then you can do whatever you want . and you will thank them for not allowing you to game and waste time on gaming at early age , because that early age will never come back ... when you get older, you will not learn as fast as a young man , nor work as hard.

dont worry about gaming you will game later in your free time , but before you can do that , you must make your own Home and your own money and secure your future.

Compromise.
Offer to do more, help out a bit more, limit gaming time and get a PC with an in between budget, $1200 is a pretty high cost.
When it comes down to it though, it is your parent's house, and you have no say in their actions.
I've made three lists.

Esports titles.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($84.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: ASRock B250M-HDV Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($79.98 @ NCIX)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.83 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 2GB ACX 2.0 Video Card ($139.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: Thermaltake V3 Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.98 @ NCIX)
Total: $504.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-15 22:24 EDT-0400

AAA titles and max graphics. *Recommended, best value*

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($84.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: ASRock B250M-HDV Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($79.98 @ NCIX)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.83 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 480 4GB Dual Video Card ($249.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.98 @ NCIX)
Total: $614.75
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-15 22:23 EDT-0400

i5 1060 6GB.

CPU: Intel Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($256.85 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($99.50 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GT OCV1 Video Card ($309.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $866.13
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-15 22:05 EDT-0400

Wolfshadw

Titan
When it's your home, you pay the bills and you buy the groceries, then you can complain about how unfair life is. Until then, all we can advise is to talk to your parents and abide by their wishes.

-Wolf sends

maybe your parents are being a bit strict, however it is certainly no lie that having a gaming pc can certainly turn into an addition. you will need to prove to them that it will not and that we can not help you with.

if they remain unconvinced, you can do whatever you want at 18 if you move out and have your own job and home.

as stated by others, their home their rules.