Windows XP Resolution Issue

AllForAstor

Commendable
Apr 15, 2017
PC won't work again after Star Wars: The Old Republic messed up the resolution.

My default resolution was always 1366x768 @ 60 but once I launched the game for the first time, the screen went black so my monitor kept saying to revert the resolution back to 1366x768 @ 60. This was quite common w/ anything that I ran that was too much for my monitor so I knew that I should just reset it (pressed the power button for about 5 seconds).

I booted up again and unfortunately, whenever it reaches the welcome screen for Windows XP, the monitor shows the message again.

I tried the common options.
I went into VGA mode and changed it to my native screen size but when I restart, it shows the desktop for about 2 seconds (perfectly fine) but the screen goes black again and the monitor displays the stupid message again.

I also did the other method and I uninstalled my Graphics Card driver in VGA mode and booted fine in normal mode. I then installed the driver through the internet (I've been using the same driver for years now so I don't think that it's a driver version issue). Once I installed the driver, it asked me to restart immediately so I did. Unfortunately, once it restarted, it still didn't work.

Please help me, what do I do? Do I uninstall SWTOR? Do I try to connect it to our flatscreen (we don't have extra monitors)? Do I do a system restore (last resort because it's our family computer and everyone's files are in there)? I need to do something about this before someone notices and blames me again for ruining the computer when it is actually the game's fault (makes the game run at 75 refresh rate and some resolution up to 2000x1100 something)

Advice is very welcome.

Solution

Your GPU doesn't give you the option of manually removing certain resolutions? I'm not saying uninstall the driver, just the bad resolution that keep screwing with your monitor. I had mine at 1920 x 1080 120HZ. My monitor didn't support it, so I booted into safe mode, right-clicked on my desktop to bring up the nVidia menu, and removed the 120HZ resolution from the list of available resolutions. Then my PC would not be able to boot into that resolution so it was forced to boot into another one. No issues since. Maybe...

thehazrd

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016
Can you get into Safe Mode? I've had this problem before and IIRC you have to start it in safe mode and then lower the resolution. I think when I did it was because I was playing around with resolutions at higher hz than what my monitor could support. It locked it into one I couldn't use, but I was able to start into safe mode and remove the resolution and lower the resolution and that fixed it for me.

AllForAstor

Commendable
Apr 15, 2017
I can boot into Safe Mode but people say that in order for the computer to change the default resolution, it should be changed in VGA mode instead. I even tried booting it in 640x400@60 and 1024x768@60

thehazrd

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016

I've never started my PC into vga mode. I don't even know how to do that. Try booting directly into safe mode without going into vga mode. Go into your resolutions if you have an external video card, which it sounds like you do. Delete that resolution from the list. Whichever one you went to that's been giving you trouble since SWTOR. See if that fixes your issue. Without that resolution being able to be used by the card, it should default to a lower resolution when you restart.

AllForAstor

Commendable
Apr 15, 2017
I did uninstall the driver and it did boot up in a lower resolution but once i installed the driver again (which forces me to reboot for it to take effect) it still cannot display the resolution. Thank you though

thehazrd

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016

Your GPU doesn't give you the option of manually removing certain resolutions? I'm not saying uninstall the driver, just the bad resolution that keep screwing with your monitor. I had mine at 1920 x 1080 120HZ. My monitor didn't support it, so I booted into safe mode, right-clicked on my desktop to bring up the nVidia menu, and removed the 120HZ resolution from the list of available resolutions. Then my PC would not be able to boot into that resolution so it was forced to boot into another one. No issues since. Maybe that will work for you.

Solution