Nothing shows up on screen

ahuezo005

Prominent
Mar 9, 2017
Hi I just finished building my first pc, but now that everything thing is in and I boot it, nothing comes up. The RGB light strip of the Mobo comes on, the LEDs on the case turn on, and the fans too. Also just so you know when taking out the stock cooler for the Pentium g4620, I slightly smeared the thermal paste I got as much I could back on.

System
Pentium g4620
ROG Strix H270 gaming
Ram Viper Patriot 16gb dual channel ddr4 2MHz
Thermaltake​ smart 500w 80+
Built into Thermaltake​ versa c22 snow edition

Solution
Motherboards usually come with some way to communicate an error message to you, either via beeps from a onboard speaker, flashing led lights, or a fancy analog display to display 2 digit number codes. You can use this to determine what part of your system is causing the issue.

However, you can also find out through trial and error. First, remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes to reset the bios. Try re-seating your ram and attempt to boot up again. Poor contact with the slot and the ram may sometimes be the issue. If that doesn't work, choose to keep just one module of ram and try out all the different slots until they system boots. Swap it out with the other module if it still doesn't boot.

Failing that, try plugging in a display...

LowlySkeleton

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015
Motherboards usually come with some way to communicate an error message to you, either via beeps from a onboard speaker, flashing led lights, or a fancy analog display to display 2 digit number codes. You can use this to determine what part of your system is causing the issue.

However, you can also find out through trial and error. First, remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes to reset the bios. Try re-seating your ram and attempt to boot up again. Poor contact with the slot and the ram may sometimes be the issue. If that doesn't work, choose to keep just one module of ram and try out all the different slots until they system boots. Swap it out with the other module if it still doesn't boot.

Failing that, try plugging in a display to the HDMI port instead of the DVI port, and see if it POSTs.

The final feat of desperation, try to re-seat the CPU, boot it up, and hope it does the trick.

If nothing seems to work, you might have either a dead motherboard or a bad set of ram on your hands. Of course, nothing is absolutely certain at this point either. If you had a second working system to test the ram, you can rule out at least the ram be faulty. And if anything is presumed to be dead, you can always go back to the retail store and have it exchanged.

As a side note, it would be best to buy some thermal compound and rubbing alcohol(99% Isopropyl alcohol ) to properly reapply the thermal compound. Simply slapping on used thermal compound can produce air gaps and prevent efficient transfer of heat from the cpu to the heatsink.

Solution