Quick answer: Which 1060 3gb?

Proxxey

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
I have to choose between ASUS 1060 3gb dual fan-OC and PALIT 1060 dual 3gb

in my country the asus one is 70$ more expensive...but i might be able to wait 1 week and get it 40$ cheaper compared to palit from a friend in another country.

but i can get the palit right away

do the coolers between them make a difference? i know i can oc the asus one to 2000mhz if lucky, but i haven't heard anything about the palit, can't find any charts

so, which one?
my specs: mobo: 3x58-ud3r
cpu: i7 920 OC'ed at 3.7ghz
(replacing my current 7790 gpu)

thanks

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
If it's the Palit Dual or JetStream it's cooler will be just fine. Just try to avoid blower style coolers like those found on reference cards or single fan designs (unless you are working with a small case). In which case i don't think an extra $70 would be justifiable for the Asus card.

On a side note, what budget are you working with? I would advise against a GTX 1060 3GB unless you are getting some really good price on it. If you plan on Gaming at 1080p above Medium settings i suggest you rather save up a little bit more for the 6GB variant or swap over to an RX 480 4GB for around the same price as the 3GB 1060 as it generally performs better and less than 4GB VRAM would be a concern for many modern games above Medium settings in 1080p or greater. Hope this helps :)

Proxxey

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013

my case is a Fractal Design define S;
i play at 1080p with a 144hz benq;
my main games are cs go; world of warcarft (legion); overwatch; dota
though i don't game that much anymore, i am changing with this gpu to just extend the life of this computer since i will have to buy a whole new configuration if not and i just don't find the point in that (old mobo, cpu, etc).

i have a 230$ budget but i live in Romania, that is why i wanted to check the differences between those cards (friend going to US soon and can get a cheaper one there). most cheap here is the palit one at 230$

cheapest 6gb here is a 290$ inno3d twin x2 (which looks like crap tbh) (same price as the 3gb asus from earlier)
regarding the 480, no more amd for me...i am done with them for good..

Proxxey

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
to be more specific:
romania : palit 3gb = 230$ ; asus 3gb: 280$
inno3d 6g = 290$
US (newegg) : zotac 6gb (cheapest i found with dual) = 239$

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
Only $239 from U.S for a Zotac 6GB? That's pretty good but it depends how much shipping costs and whether or not your keen to wait. if not i would personally save up for the Inno3D one in Romania. But that's just me, if you are keen on the 3GB 1060 the Palit is worth it, i don't see much point in spending almost as much as a 6GB 1060 on the Asus version.

Proxxey

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
i just want to get done with this as fast as possible, all i want is to extend the life of this computer as it will die in a few years with these components inside without me changing anything else anymore...hope the 3gb will be enough

thanks