Phanteks P400 case modifications for cooling.

explainitlikeimanidiot

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Hello all.
I have been getting temps of 73 degrees on gpu and 62 degrees on cpu when playing ME Andromeda for over an hour. Couldn't tell you the room temp but would estimate around 20-21 degrees. non gaming has the gpu sitting at around 43 and cpu at low late 20s-30s max late 30s.
Removing the front panel gives me roughly 4-5 degree drop in max temps. If I remove the the side panel (front on) I get max 51 degrees on cpu and gpu sits at 61 degrees and more importantly, the gpu is practically silent. I could play with fans and gpu fans and get the system pretty damn quiet with these temps and no side panel.
So, I'm thinking of cutting some holes in the side panel and fitting dust filters or possibly fitting a fan or two (again with dust filters) I have the two 120mm Phanteks case fans that came with the case and I'm thinking of fitting one where the gpu is and having a hole where the cpu cooler is.
Any advice/opinions are welcome.

Specs
ASUS Z170 A
I5 6600K @ 4.2 stock voltage
Dark rock TF cpu cooler
ASUS ROG Strix oc RX 480
4x4gb Vengence lpx 2400 (running cl15 2166)
512gb Samsung PM961 M.2
Powercolor RX 480 Red Devil
Super Flower Leadex Gold 650w
Phantek p400 case
1x 120 noctua redux top rear 2 x PH-F140SP phantek fans at front.

Thanks,

Lee

Makentox

Estimable
Sep 24, 2016
You can cut holes and install fans with dust filters, but why would u do that? Your temperatures are more than fine. P400 is a great case with the best airflow u can get, just drop this idea.
Btw your front fans are static pressure, it should be airflow because nothing blocks airflow in front in p400 case. But again not worth money to upgrade as long as you can keep your temps under 80.

explainitlikeimanidiot

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I get what you are saying. Wasn't sure if I needed static pressure fans for front or not, but they were cheap anyway.
It's more the fact that I could get the system almost silent with really low temps.
Would airflow fans help temps much?

Makentox

Estimable
Sep 24, 2016

AF fans will help, because they meant to push more air. But i doubt it worth spend money on AF fans just because you have already bought some.
Just checked your cpu cooler, weird u chose this one for p400 case... Unless you dont care about your case u could try to put 2 fans for gpu and cpu on side panel and use top of the case for exhaust it may help. However i still think its a bad idea.

explainitlikeimanidiot

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009

Thanks.
Side panel has an acrylic smoked window, so fitting a fan or hole is relatively easy. I'm quite proficient with tools and have the necessary hole cutters and drills.
I collected the parts before I chose the case. On my previous build I had an am3+ board that I originally had an Athlon ii x2 which I upgraded to an fx6350. because the mb didn't have any heatsinks for the vrms' I was advised to get a top down cooler. I ended up with a Noctua LH-12 and it was superb. My vrm temps dropped massively. That's why I went with a top down cooler. All the parts were collected around November/December and I got great deals. Total build was just under £750.

Noticed I put the red devil rx480 in there. I don't have this. One Asus strix rx 480

I'll take the advice and at least sleep on it.

Thanks

explainitlikeimanidiot

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
OK, guess what?
Yep, I went and did it.
GPU temps dropped down to 62, CPU temps down to 42 and the M.2 drive dropped 10-12 degrees down to 31.
I put the two Phantek s120 case fans as exhaust. One at the rear and one at the top. I put the 120 noctua on the side.
I used GPU tweak but the lowest setting for the side fan was 50% and at 60 degrees. Having a fan curve on the side fan caused issues with the rx 480 fans somehow. Asus software bug, I presume. Setting the side fan to 50% maximum along the temp range solved that issue.
Best of all, it's quiet. GPU fans do not go above 42%.
Thanks for the advice, but I just got bored and couldn't help myself.
Jl1XGhV.jpg
[/url][/img]