Connecting second monitor shuts both of the monitors down

Orike

Prominent
Apr 17, 2017
I have had those 2 monitors set up for a while now,
one with DVI and one with VGA but recently I encountered a problem which is that when I try open several programs on both monitors they suddenly lose signal even tho the computer is still running.

To turn the signal back on again I need to close the computer and replug the cables several times until it works.

I have no idea why this is happening, they perfectly until recently.

Solution
Just speculating on the issue, but it could be a cable connection issue if you state you need to replug the cables several times.
If the problem occurs again, are you able to just unplug one monitor and see if the other monitor is able to function? Basically using single display?

May I ask what type of video card you have in play? Depending on the program as well, it could be too much for the card.

Yukizuna

Prominent
Apr 17, 2017
Just speculating on the issue, but it could be a cable connection issue if you state you need to replug the cables several times.
If the problem occurs again, are you able to just unplug one monitor and see if the other monitor is able to function? Basically using single display?

May I ask what type of video card you have in play? Depending on the program as well, it could be too much for the card.

Solution

Orike

Prominent
Apr 17, 2017

No. I need to restart the computer couple of times until it works.
also, the number of times I need to restart changes too, it doesn't always work on the first try.
My graphics card is GeForce GTX 650

Yukizuna

Prominent
Apr 17, 2017

How long have you had the vcard for?
I would test by controlling some factors. Try just using a single monitor. If the signal gives out, it is possible it could be a problem with the vcard.

If multiple programs cause this signal loss, it may point to the vcard.
Then again, another factor could be power draw, depending on what programs you run, the video card will need more power to run which may be lacking.

What is your PSU wattage?

Latest posts