PC Frezze ramdonly with black screen

Unumbium

Reputable
Feb 5, 2017
I'm unsure if the update i installed today (windows creators thing )is the main problem but the pc ramdonly frezze and the screen goes black, sometimes the keybord backlight turns off too but the PC is still on, reset button wont work and i have to disconnect the PSU for few mins to boot up again. Disabled game mode still happened.

Thanks

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Could be any number of things, not a lot of info here to help narrow it down but you can try uninstalling the update itself via safe mode. If that doesn't work you can try resetting the MBR, and if all else fails, re-install the OS.

Either way you should be backing up your data in case of damage to the OS or drive that's un-repairable. Recommend a disk imager like MAcrium Reflect, or a snapshot tool like RollBack Rx.

Unumbium

Reputable
Feb 5, 2017
Bad news, happend 4 times now, It turned off while i tried to boot twice. Could it be a PSU failure or GPU Overheating? I have a rx 480 8gbs. I have a new cheap 700W PSU (my dad bought it but never used it) can i use it to test for 1 day for example or is it too much risk?

Unumbium

Reputable
Feb 5, 2017

Thanks for your anwser but i found out it was indeed the PSU causing problem, switched with another one and 0 problems until now. I opened the PSU and found something weird looks like a transistor(?) burned.
6IOiuTY.jpg