1080p 120hz TV detected by PC at 60hz

lonlonmilklover

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008
Short and sweet, I am plugging an HDMI cable from my Nvidia GTX 1060 video card to my LG 42" 1080p 120hz LCD TV only to find that Windows, Nvidia Control Panel, and all games detect my monitor as being 59 or 60hz.

I'm a little confused - is the TV manufacturer lying? Or is an HDMI cable unable to detect 120hz displays? (or is it a software driver issue? my display driver is "Generic PnP Driver")

lonlonmilklover

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008
TV Brand and Model is:

LG 42CS570

I did some digging and am a bit irritated.

This TV was advertised by the manufacturer as a 1080p 120hz LCD HDTV.

Well, it has no Display Port and I didn't really have a great graphics card anyway so I've just used the HDMI ports for my consoles, blu ray player, PC et cetera over the years.

Now that I have a nicer graphics card, I wanted to optimize everything and I realized - this isn't a "real" 120hz tv. From page 48 in the manual:

TruMotion: "Makes video clips recorded in film look more natural by eliminating judder effect. DVD and Blu-ray movies are filmed at 24 frames per second (fps). With LG Real Cinema, every frame is consistently processed 5 times in 1/24 of a second producing 120 fps with TruMotion or 2 times in 1/24 of a second producing 48 fps without TruMotion, thus totally eliminating the judder effect. This function can also work when TruMotion is off."

.... only by Motion Interpolation is the display 120 fps, emulated.

I guess that speaks volumes o_O Ugh.