i7 3770 non k overheat

Bilel BM

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015
Hello so i just got this cpu a week ago i had a (i5 2400) previously with a cooler master hyper tx3 the i5 never reaches 60° at full load for a while but all that changed with the i7 3770 the first time i installed it with the CM TX3 it was sitting at 35~40 at idle and when gaming it would go up to 100°.. i disabled turbo boost and temps would drop to 80-85° but i dont think those temps are safe , so i bought another cooler since the cpu is a non k i dont need a water cooler so i got an ARCTIC Freezer i32 CO (bigger cooler) but temps remain the same .. and when i use temp monitor programs they all show that its only one core (core #0) is getting very hot you can see that in the picture below

JeEYyBL.png

in the picture (core 0 is at 95° but core 3 is only at 58°)

My pc Specs:
CPU: I7 3770 non k
MOBO: gigabyte B75M-D3H
Cooler: Arctic Freezer i34 CO
RAM : 8gb DDR3
PSU: corsair CX500
Case: BW9000-W

Thanks

Looks to me like it could be a factory defect in how the IHS (integrated heatspreader) was attached. You could remove it and remount it (will almost certainly fix the issue), or you could ask whomever you bought the chip from for a replacement or refund.

Bilel BM

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015

thanks for your answer @Ecky i dd some researches about delidding the cpu and i saw that only users (with the K version) that want to overclock do that ... how can confirm that its the ihs causing the problem ?

It's hard to say for certain but if remounting your cooler fails to bring temps down, it's what I would consider.

A bandaid solution you might try, if delidded seems a bit adventurous, is to undervolt until you get temps under control.

Bilel BM

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015
So i delid the cpu and here is the result

hZdYtUJ.png

i was surprised

thank you Ecky for your help ...
but i noticed at load the frequency is at 3.6 is that normal ?