Prominent
Apr 18, 2017
PC Specs

GTX 1060 3GB
AMD FX-8350 @4.0Ghz
MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard
16GB HyperX DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 Home Edition 64bit

Recently, I have encountered an issue where my memory usage is very high. This is when I turn on my computer and open Chrome and watch a video or stream etc. My memory sky rockets to about 40-50% This the same when I load games like CSGO. I have tried googling the problem, using the 'RegistryHack', checked for Malware using MalwareBytes, used SpyBot S&D and most recently defragged my hard drive. None of these things have worked for me, I wondering would anybody have a solution to my problem? I'm getting desperate at this stage so any constructive response is greatly appreciated!

Solution
Your task manager looks like mine, you only using 2% more than I am currently, interesting your bitdefender icon isn't red. There is nothing obvious there.

I would run process explorer and have a look at it when your usage hits 40-50% - games will use the ram after all and since your basic programs use close to 30%, it doesn't take a lot to add another 20%.

Windows 10 handles memory differently to previous versions. If you close a program, it doesn't dump all the data onto the hdd, instead it compresses it in ram in case you decide to run it again. It only empties ram out if you approach 100% usage and need the ram, or if you restart PC. With 50% of your ram still left unused it may never need to do that.

Don't worry about ram usage...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Download Process explorer and run it as admin (it comes from Microsoft so its safe)

the default view is tree structure meaning like your task manager screen, it will show what processes are under each service, but unlike task manager, it shows the ram usage of each part so you can see what is eating your ram

Private bytes = actual ram usage
Working set = Ram + page file usage

This page shows what all the colours and headings mean, link at bottom of it shows how to use it to find problems. You can right click processes and run an av scan from within the program.

Conor6

Prominent
Apr 18, 2017
Ran the AV scan with the Process Explorer and only found this https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/a4d6fb6583724f3dddba768d7786eb7e3ab1c8074f66da9462bbb159cdfa2868/analysis/

I scanned every process open and this was the only process that had a threat level

Colif

Win 11 Master
The process known as GameScannerService belongs to software Razer Synapse or Razer Naga by Razer (www.razerzone.com) or Razer USA (www.razerzone.com).

Do you use Synapse? http://www.file.net/process/gamescannerservice.exe.html

I would be more inclined to think the error is a memory leak on a driver than a file that has 2 hits out of 62 AV scans.

Try downloading live update 6 from the MSI utilities page for your motherboard and see if it offers any driver upgrades (don't update bios)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Your task manager looks like mine, you only using 2% more than I am currently, interesting your bitdefender icon isn't red. There is nothing obvious there.

I would run process explorer and have a look at it when your usage hits 40-50% - games will use the ram after all and since your basic programs use close to 30%, it doesn't take a lot to add another 20%.

Windows 10 handles memory differently to previous versions. If you close a program, it doesn't dump all the data onto the hdd, instead it compresses it in ram in case you decide to run it again. It only empties ram out if you approach 100% usage and need the ram, or if you restart PC. With 50% of your ram still left unused it may never need to do that.

Don't worry about ram usage unless you get out of memory errors and even then, that might not be ram as Windows doesn't have an out of ram error, memory to the PC is ram+ page file. Out of memory errors mostly are driver leaks as a driver is asking for more and more memory and not releasing it like it should.

Solution