physics-y question...on hanging Panels to walls.

PANDA125

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2014
hey,

I didnt know where to ask....lol

I want to hang something thats 13lbs to my wall without damaging the wall (3M Command Strips).
One 3M Jumbo Command Strip supports upto 7.5lbs.

If I use 2 D-hooks with hanging wires (placed independently L & R of the panel), will the weight be distributed evenly and thus adequately keep the panel up?

best,

Solution
If the center of mass of the panel is directly between the two wires from the D-hooks, yes the weight will be split just about evenly between the two.

If one of the wires is attached closer to the center of mass of the panel than the other, then it will support a greater proportion of the weight. In an extreme case, if one wire is mounted in a vertical line with the center of mass, it supports all the weight. The other wire offset from the center of mass supports nothing.

If a wire is supporting the panel in multiple attachment points, calculating the weight distribution becomes considerably more complicated. Likewise, using more than two wires makes the problem considerably more complicated (it creates what's called a statically...
If the center of mass of the panel is directly between the two wires from the D-hooks, yes the weight will be split just about evenly between the two.

If one of the wires is attached closer to the center of mass of the panel than the other, then it will support a greater proportion of the weight. In an extreme case, if one wire is mounted in a vertical line with the center of mass, it supports all the weight. The other wire offset from the center of mass supports nothing.

If a wire is supporting the panel in multiple attachment points, calculating the weight distribution becomes considerably more complicated. Likewise, using more than two wires makes the problem considerably more complicated (it creates what's called a statically indeterminate problem).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statically_indeterminate

Note that if the center of mass of the panel shifts (e.g. someone knocks it so it swings side-to-side), so will the weight distribution between the two D-rings. This type of dynamic loading can easily exceed the total weight of the panel, so I wouldn't trust two strips rated at 15 lb total to hold 13 lb of weight if you're in an earthquake-prone area.

Solution

PANDA125

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2014
Thank you!
Learned some new things too :)

The area is directly behind my desk so there will be zero foot traffic.
I guess, all i have to do now is to hope 3M will do its thing :)

PANDA125

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2014

Hey 13thmonkey,

Thanks for the reply, I'm actually planning on purchasing a sit-stand desk soon so, although its advertised to withstand up to 300 lbs, I want to avoid as much stress to it as possible.

The desk won't even notice, it'd be far less risky than the wall, and it would always be at the same height above the desk/working surface., fitting it to the wall it'll either be too high or too low depending on where you fit it and the current height of the desk.

What exactly do you mean by "panel"? I assumed some sort of decorative wall panel. Normally I don't trust those sticky strips, but for something cheap and easily replaceable like a wall panel I don't see the harm of trying.

But 13thmonkey's desk suggestion made me wonder... Do you mean you want to hang a flat panel display on the wall? In that case I'd definitely mount it on the desk or screw a mounting bracket into studs in the wall. A display will give off heat, which will rise up against the wall until it reaches the sticky strips. Generally, heat will weaken adhesives. So the strips may not be able to hold their rated 7.5 lbs.

PANDA125

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2014
hey,
sorry for the late response.
nooooo, no heavy electronics of that sort, im hanging acoustic panels (fabric, wood, fiberglass or rockwool absorption panel).

The command stripes, in my situation, is the perfect solution for me because I cant damage the walls and there's always a chance I will need to rearrange or move them again in the future.