Computer thinks front jack is speaker out and rear jack is front speaker out

Terito86

Prominent
Apr 18, 2017
5 Year old machine and recently switched out a keyboard, (to the same model of keyboard just a new one) and when I plugged it in the audio passthrough no longer worked that my speakers are normally plugged into. Keyboard is a razer black widow stealth.

The keyboard detects when I plug something in, and the mic pass through works correctly. But in the Realtek HD Audio Manager from ASUS under connector retasking the only choices for the back panel green port is "headphone" or "front speaker out." On the other hand, I plugged the speakers into the front of the tower and connector retasking on that has "line in" "mic in" "headphone" "speaker out."

Lastly of note, it says after awhile that it was unplugged/replugged back in even when I don't touch it. My speakers work fine now plugged into the front, so mostly what I am curious about is if the computer is just getting old, and possibly a mobo failure here? I've tried updating drivers, windows, restarted, and resinstalled the realtek audio mgr from asus...

Solution
what motherboard do you have? Does Asus HD Audio manager still show the connectors displayed along bottom of window?
This what I have:

Analog Front Green - Headphone
Analog Front Pink - Mic in

Rear Red - Center sub woofer Speaker Out (Speakers)
Rear Blue - Line in
Rear Black - Rear Speaker Out (Speakers)
Rear Green - Front Speaker Out (Speakers)
Rear Grey - Side Speakers Out
Rear Pink - Mic In

Digital - Spdif out

Did you look in options under playback, see if any choices there help you fix it.

i had 12 hours of fun getting my Z906 speakers to work on my PC, after I replaced other speakers. It wasn't seeing all the channels all the time which took me sitting here running the windows audio troubleshooter a number of times and...

Colif

Win 11 Master
what motherboard do you have? Does Asus HD Audio manager still show the connectors displayed along bottom of window?
This what I have:

Analog Front Green - Headphone
Analog Front Pink - Mic in

Rear Red - Center sub woofer Speaker Out (Speakers)
Rear Blue - Line in
Rear Black - Rear Speaker Out (Speakers)
Rear Green - Front Speaker Out (Speakers)
Rear Grey - Side Speakers Out
Rear Pink - Mic In

Digital - Spdif out

Did you look in options under playback, see if any choices there help you fix it.

i had 12 hours of fun getting my Z906 speakers to work on my PC, after I replaced other speakers. It wasn't seeing all the channels all the time which took me sitting here running the windows audio troubleshooter a number of times and attaching & detaching the speaker cables.

try running the windows Playing audio, and Hardware & devices troubleshooters.
Depending which version of windows 10 you are running, they are found in different ways - to find out what version you have, right click start button, choose run, type winver and press enter

If you have version 1703 then go to settings/update & security/troubleshoot and find the two I named in list
If you have any version prior to 1703 then search cortana for troubleshoot, pick the control panel option, in next window pick view all from list on right and the 2 troubleshooters mentioned will be in the list

Solution

Terito86

Prominent
Apr 18, 2017
The trouble shooter for playing audio fixed it. It suggested disabling audio enhancements. Even though none of them were checked, I hit the disable all button an viola, success. Thank you for your response, it is much appreciated!