Start Button Not Opening/Working

Jsao_

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
I don't know much about operating systems and what I do know is just Googled information so forgive me for my lack of information/knowledge/whatever.

I have been using custom themes for Windows since XP and I never had a problem until today. I installed a custom theme on Windows 10 and went to use it, however, after I clicked on the theme to load it the screen went all black and I couldn't see anything at all but my music continued to play. I had to hard shut down my desktop and when I tried to log back in the screen was all white and I still couldn't see anything. I don't know if anything loaded either because there wasn't any sound and I don't have programs that make sound on start up. I tried going into Safe Mode first and it would kick me back to login screen every time it attempted to load the desktop. I tried with networking and without. They both did the same thing. The program I used to patch my computer so I could use these custom skins created a restore point for me however when I tried to restore it said I didn't have any. I suspect I might have turned a service off or something that prevented restore points from saving. I tried every option short of resetting my operating system. Nothing worked so I did a fresh install that kept my old files. After the install finished I installed Google Chrome, Discord and Steam then went on to delete my windows.old folder after making note of programs that weren't listed in the Removed Apps html file on my desktop. I didn't have permission for some of the files so I used a third party program called Unlocker to remove the files I couldn't. After it was finished my explorer started going wonky. It would not respond or blink/flash constantly. I tried restarting it but at that point it wouldn't even do that. It loaded the clock and start orb but nothing else (No desktop or taskbar). I restarted my computer and explorer seemed to be working fine but I couldn't access my start menu so I Googled my problem and found a couple suggestions.

Suggestion 1: Open elevated powershell and enter
XML:
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
Which returned some errors that I cannot reproduce currently.

Suggestion 2: Create a new user account and add it to administrators group. It didn't work.

Then I tried running chkdsk /f and I did sfc scannow which returned no errors and nothing to repair so I'm at a loss and out of ideas. I have uploaded a video displaying my current problem.

It starts off with me still having that refresh habit then I right click start orb then I try left clicking the Action Center and right clicking it to open it then I go back to left clicking start orb then right clicking it.

EDIT: Apparently I can't right click on any of the apps/programs on my taskbar to pin or do whatever with.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3BuPkvco8w"][/video]

Jsao_

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015

I got the theme from Deviant Art. I don't think I would have gotten much 'support' from there.

Using Media Creation Tool to repair my installation worked though.