AMD Sempron 50°C@idle. Possible burn-out?

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
The clock in/out machine at work had to be replaced because the last one wouldn't boot up anymore. I'm figuring that since it's been up and running it's been going at 50°C at idle 24/7. It's 1 or 2 years old and is an eMachine. Is it a possibility that the CPU burnt out?

Got the temp before it stopped working by using Everest. Checked through Task Manager and am sure that it was at or near idle at almost all times.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
check that the CPU fan is spinning; it might have been losing revs until it died out and caused the CPU to automatically power down, because an idle 50°C is absolutely unacceptable. I have only once seen a brand new sempron 2800+ at 50°+; turned it off immediately, opened the case; the guy who wad assembled it had forgotten to plug the CPU fan connector :x

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
because an idle 50°C is absolutely unacceptable

Yeah, that's pretty much what I told them when I saw it. Couldn't tell you if the fan was spinning or not, it's in for repairs.

Probably didn't help that it was in an enclosed cabinet with no ventilation.

Prozac, probably not in a year to two years, but it's probably got some affect.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
About the only other thing I can think of would be that the recirculating air pushed the motherboard's temps too high and took it out that way. Then again, could be just that it's an eMachine and crapped out because of that.

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Solution: Just remove your sempron of your emachine, make a firecamp and throw it in there and check the temperature with a thermometer and tell us what the temp it start to melt. No but seriously 50c is normal temp, i dont think so they would sell you a machine that damage the cpu with their fan, unless you changed it for something less performant or oc the cpu. Just clean the heatsink sometime if you see some dirt in, maybe put some artic silver compound, but anyway you can get those cpu at a cheap price.Iven runned a XP3200+ idle at 50c around for like 3-4 years more then 14h a day. Still in good shape.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
You know, you just made me thought of something. With how infrequently that thing was probably looked at, dust might have built up in there and caused some problems.

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
yeah since my friend call me and tell me that when he play game his pc shutdown im like, check your psu or something or your cpu temp, but hes a noob. So went to his house and started checking the cpu heatsink, im like wow , there was so many shit in there, no way wind could pass that, cleaned with air compressor is comp and running cooler and 100%. Now i just clean all my computers each 2 month with the air compressor. If you dont have one, just blow in it to remove all the dirt.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Once a year I plan on buying a can of compressed air to keep the main rig I use running. Plus it's always fun to watch the temps drop ten degrees every now and then.