Help me about windows 10 in laptop. I will change hardware.

Major08

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016
I will buy hp envy 15t(Windows 10)(brandnew) which have 1tb 5400 rpm. If i will replace the 1tb hdd with 240gb 2.5 ssd will my windows 10 dissapear? Will it boot then automaticaly install windows 10 in my ssd? Please Help me I'm confuse.

Solution
Your motherboard holds the license to an OS within it, but your storage holds the physical partition. You can move partitions by installing your SSD alongside the HDD, then using a program like EaseUS to transfer the partition to the new SSD. Once done, you're able to remove the HDD (after transferring any desired files to your SSD, once it's formatted).

Atomicdonut17

Reputable
Feb 4, 2017
Your motherboard holds the license to an OS within it, but your storage holds the physical partition. You can move partitions by installing your SSD alongside the HDD, then using a program like EaseUS to transfer the partition to the new SSD. Once done, you're able to remove the HDD (after transferring any desired files to your SSD, once it's formatted).

Solution

Major08

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016
Thanks! If i don't have any importante files in my hdd. i can just remove the hdd and change it with ssd because my motherboard holds the license of windows 10 right?

English is not my first language so i'm sorry if my sentence is a bit hard to understand.

Atomicdonut17

Reputable
Feb 4, 2017
For a laptop, you won't be able to install both an SSD and HDD within, unless it's a gaming laptop. You should be able to replace the HDD with the SSD, and install Windows. Since the board holds the license, it will already be registered and ready to go, but you may need a thumb drive to use as an ISO. An ISO USB is essentially a Windows install disk, but much easier to use.