Lenovo N22: Default App Download Location

milmom15

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017
This question has been asked a few times in different ways but I am still having the same problem despite those prior being marked "solved."

I am still unable to change the default save location for new app downloads from C: to my external hard drive. It's a WD Passport, 1TB, so storage space is not a problem (just purchased).

I have searched for and downloaded all available Windows updates (according to my el cheap-o laptop) and still cannot even access the drop-down menu (it is greyed out).

I did see in this article that "you cannot use mapped network drives" so a) what the heck does that mean? and b) can I fix it? The linked article on how to map didn't really help me understand.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6422-change-save-location-new-apps-windows-10-a.html

I am less than a novice, so please offer any advice in layman terms! :)

Thanks, all.

Solution
Hello milmom15

This tutorial explains an easy way to change the default location for the new apps you install.

As mentioned in the tutorial, if the New apps will save to option is greyed out, it is probably because your instance of Windows needs to be updated.

This old thread on Microsoft's site explains that the feature was not enabled in earlier versions of Windows.

Since many users are now able to change the default save location for the new apps, it looks like either you are using an old make of the operating system or it isn't able to install some updates correctly.

I would suggest you to try updating Windows one more time, and if you still can't change the default save location for the new apps...
Hello milmom15

This tutorial explains an easy way to change the default location for the new apps you install.

As mentioned in the tutorial, if the New apps will save to option is greyed out, it is probably because your instance of Windows needs to be updated.

This old thread on Microsoft's site explains that the feature was not enabled in earlier versions of Windows.

Since many users are now able to change the default save location for the new apps, it looks like either you are using an old make of the operating system or it isn't able to install some updates correctly.

I would suggest you to try updating Windows one more time, and if you still can't change the default save location for the new apps, it would be a good idea to contact Microsoft's Customer Support Team and ask for their assistance.

About mapped network drives, you can get all the information about them here. Also, if you want to learn how to map a network drive, this tutorial might be a good source.

Hope this helps. Cheers!!

Solution