Extra peripheral required to install os via flash drive?

Rizing

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016
Hello,

I feel like this is a trick question, because I've never done something like this before.
I am in the middle of purchasing components for a new pc I am going to build.
I plan to install a brand new copy of Windows 10 on a brand new motherboard.
Do I need an additional peripheral that connects to the motherboard so that the cpu/mobo/drive recognizes the usb and lets me install it?

Thanks,

Solution

Mostly.
But if you want to get technical....
Motherboard talks to the CPU. CPU talks to the other motherboard port and the other HDD or SSD.

But yes....it works like that. You don't need to buy anything else to connect it.

USAFRet

Titan

All you should need is a blank 8GB USB flash drive.
Plug it into one of the USB ports and power up.

Rizing

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016

Alright, thanks!

I'm only cautious because inside the case of my current outdated pc, where the usb port is installed, there's only a cable coming out and the hard drive is a level below the usb port. I think the cable is wired down into the hard drive and that's how the usb port is able to send signals to the hard drive.

Do modern rigs have the usb port directly on the components?

USAFRet

Titan

USB ports on the back are part of the motherboard.
USB ports on the front of the case are connected directly to the motherboard, with the included cable that comes with the case.

Rizing

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016

Ah, I understand now. Flash drive connects to usb port in front. Cable from port goes to motherboard. Motherboard relays signal to connected drive. Is that it?

USAFRet

Titan

Mostly.
But if you want to get technical....
Motherboard talks to the CPU. CPU talks to the other motherboard port and the other HDD or SSD.

But yes....it works like that. You don't need to buy anything else to connect it.

Solution

Rizing

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016

Gotcha, thanks!