Stuck on "Choose Keyboard Layout"

DanMumford

Prominent
Apr 21, 2017
Hey,

Our computer seemed to be working fine until Wednesday morning when it would only show a screen saying "Choose Keyboard Layout"

Only problem being that the keyboard and mouse suddenly don't work so I can't actually select anything...

I downloaded the windows 10 boot iso to a blank USB stick and tried to boot from that, but then I was getting the message "bootmgr is missing, press ctrl + alt + del to restart"

I then burned the windows 10 boot iso to a blank DVD and booted from that, after about 10 minutes it finally popped up with the screen saying select language and currency etc, and I was able to choose the repair PC option...I chose to roll back to a previous date that was working, it said something about the C:/ drive and got stuck at 14%...

This morning I wake up and it's back at the 'Choose Keyboard Layout' screen...

How do I fix this??

Many thanks, Dan!

Ralston18

Titan
Wired or wireless?

If wired, double check the connections.

Try another mouse and/or keyboard.

If wireless, try new batteries in the mouse and keyboard.

Boot into Windows 10 Safe mode - may be just enough keyboard function to get that to work.

DanMumford

Prominent
Apr 21, 2017
Sorry for the confusion...

Keyboard and mouse are both working fine, allowing me to select all the steps I previously mentioned, but they stop working as soon as the 'Choose Keyboard Layout' screens shows up.

Ralston18

Titan
Are you able to get throught the steps provided in the following link?

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1032406/

Or get to the On-screen keyboard?

A "right click" on the task bar and selecting "Show touch keyboard button" may provide the on-screen keyboard and permit you to at least do some input.

DanMumford

Prominent
Apr 21, 2017

Nope, I can't follow any of those steps or click on the task bar as the computer won't boot up to the desktop...

DanMumford

Prominent
Apr 21, 2017
The 'Choose Keyboard Layout' screen shows up right after the motherboard info screen with the options to press F8 to choose the boot device etc, so it's working right until then.

Also if I boot from the Windows ISO DVD I made then the mouse and keyboard work 100%...I can choose all the options, including the command prompt, recovery etc

(recovery completed but then the repair afterwards sticks at 14% for about 2 hours, then goes to the keyboard screen again)

Ralston18

Titan
Can you get into BIOS by pressing the applicable Function key?

You should see some screen message that appears at power on. May be a couple of options presented.

Visual appearance may be very short. You might need to start rapidly tapping the applicable key as you push the power on button.

If you can get into BIOS and move about look for keyboard related settings.

Do not know what setup you have per se but my thought is to do an end around via another keyboard connection that will permit a normal boot with a plain vanilla keyboard.