Windows 10 unusably slow and unresponsive after power loss

Darkrising

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
Hello, so I was using my PC today just watching some Youtube videos when the power suddenly goes off due to the meter running out (yeah we still have one of those stone age paid ones).

When my PC comes back on, suddenly everything is slow as ****. Windows explorer takes a good decade and a half to open, a few 3D intense games suddenly have dropped from 110 fps to barely even reaching 10 and I have literally no idea what has happened.

I did some checking around, the CPU clock is holding steady at the normal 4 GHz that it's set to, my ram amount is still the same etc etc. I ran a few chkdsk on my main SSD and my main storage hard drive and they both seem to be fine. I even checked to see if the system files had been damaged, that too was fine. My temperatures were the same as they were yesterday also.

My PC is not exactly bad spec wise either: I7 6700k, Msi GTX 980 TI and 16 GB of ram on a Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3. I run a three monitor setup, two 1080 and my main ROG 2k 144hz screen.

At this point I'm pretty much out of ideas as to what the problem is, I did boot into my Manjaro distro to see if anything was amiss there however I didn't find any slowdowns there. Unfortunately I do not have any games or anything 3D intensive to test on it but everything I could test: opening and closing directories, reading and writing to both my windows partitions are as normal.

The only thing I can think of is Windows has gone and screwed up somewhere as the hardware itself seems to be fine, if anyone has any ideas that would be appreciated.

Darkrising

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013

Hello, thanks for the quick response. Tried that also to no effect.

Darkrising

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013

Yeah, my storage HDD has been defragged.

We're on about 7 power cycles now after the outage. I even reset CMOS and just let it sit for about an hour too.

Curious thing to note, one of the games I tried (Space Engineers) reads out that it's running at 120 fps until I make any sort of mouse movements then it just cans to 10 - 20 and acts all jerky until I stop moving, (The game is sitting on my storage HDD)

I have never experienced this issue before.

Darkrising

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013

I just tried that, no effect. I tried messing with the mouse polling rate too, did nothing.

Just updated my graphics drivers too, no effect.

Seems kinda dumb for the PC to just casually lose performance after an unexpected shutdown. The error logs reveal nothing exciting either.

Edit: It seems wildly shaking my mouse on anything is lagging the system out completely. For example: If I shake my mouse whilst scrolling chrome it will become jagged and laggy or over a Youtube video it will pause and hold on frames.