Service Host: Local System - Win Update - High CPU Temps & Useage

Archiver

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016
For weeks now I have had weird issues with Windows Update having constant errors in trying to install multiple updates, getting stuck on 0%, installing stuff that it just "successfully" installed 3 times the day before, etc.

Now my CPU usage is constantly at 20%+ due to Service Host Local System, and my temps idle around 55 instead of 22c

If I stop the Windows Update process under the drop-down of Service Host Local System my temps / usage go down to a normal 1%, 22c, but it immediately starts itself back up and continues raging on my system.

I've tried a couple things to attempt fixing the updater, including Fixit, installing the drivers / updates manually, but they usually just say that they're already up to date (so then why, Windows, are you trying to update them?!?!?!?!)

If anybody has a fix that would be amazing... I'll attach some screenshots of my task manager and updates screen.... if you look at the bottom right I have RealTemp running, and you can usually see my CPU temp is in the 50's. Thanks!

http://imgur.com/a/jF4Jz

Solution
Maybe Windows is jacked up. Did you try running the Scannow tool in C: properties? Go to My Computer or This PC (in Windows 10)>right click Local Disk C: (or wherever drive you placed Windows)>bottom of the drop down go to Properties>click 'Tools' tab>in Error checking box, click 'Check' and let it run.
2)Try 'System File Checker' (sfc): In the search box, (or Windows key & S)>type Cmd>right click Command Prompt>Run as Adminstrator> In the Cmd box, on command line type sfc/scannow >press enter. let it run till complete.
Then type on the command line type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth>enter and wait till complete and restart computer. 'Dism' means Deployment Image Servicing and Management. It can help remove copies of...

Ralston18

Titan
What happens with the temperatures when doing other things such as gaming, multi-tasking, etc..

It could be that overheating is the problem and not updates per se.

You might try disabling as many background apps etc. as you can before upgrading.

However, I would be concerned about a physical (hardware) problem being the true issue.

Check all your fans, the airflow, inspect inside the case for blockages, etc..

Rexer

Distinguished
Maybe Windows is jacked up. Did you try running the Scannow tool in C: properties? Go to My Computer or This PC (in Windows 10)>right click Local Disk C: (or wherever drive you placed Windows)>bottom of the drop down go to Properties>click 'Tools' tab>in Error checking box, click 'Check' and let it run.
2)Try 'System File Checker' (sfc): In the search box, (or Windows key & S)>type Cmd>right click Command Prompt>Run as Adminstrator> In the Cmd box, on command line type sfc/scannow >press enter. let it run till complete.
Then type on the command line type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth>enter and wait till complete and restart computer. 'Dism' means Deployment Image Servicing and Management. It can help remove copies of programs that are double running.
Hope this helps.
Also, running a clean up program and registry cleaner (like Ccleaner) helps. Programs and games after multiple crashing creates heat, too. Complete uninstall and reinstall will help. Remember to save settings. After restart, defrag it.
Hope this helps.

Solution