Where are SSDs over 4tb size?

tarmiricmi

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2015
In the past two years we have seen announcements of various companies (Samsung, Sandisk etc) of 8,12, even 16 tb SSDs. I can't find those drives on main hardware vendors' sites, they are not yet available. Precisely, I'm looking for 2.5" (M2 yet better) 8 tb SSD - my whole life :D
Can that be purchased at the moment?

I have a feeling that the SSD development has somewhat stuck - similar with the HDDs.

Colif

Win 11 Master

Only $11,299! Maybe I should buy a bunch before they sell out at that bargain basement price.

Reactions: LucianAndries

Colif

Win 11 Master
Seagates 60tb drive has estimated cost of 40k so the samsung price is on par with it.

The 60TB from Seagate has an estimated cost of around $40,000 for just one unit. Which means for the 48U rack mentioned above, the cost to fill that up with the 60TB drives would be around $11,520,000, not including tax, installation, and other fees. Wattage is also something of a concern as well. A typical SSD consumes between 1-3 watts while active. Seagate’s 60TB SSD reportedly consumes around 15 watts while active. While a server storage node should still be able to handle the increase in power consumption, it is still an extra cost.

https://exxactcorp.com/blog/seagates-60tb-ssd-exxact-review/

As I said, those SSDs aren't for consumers yet, so they're not available in retail.

The announcements so far have all been about enterprise SSDs.

I don't think it'll take ages before larger consumer SSDs arrive, but it doesn't seem likely right now in the middle of this NAND supply shortage.

Colif

Win 11 Master

They don't exist yet, I would expect that to change in the next few years or so. There isn't a great demand for them yet as I expect the price of 4tb ssd isn't small enough still. Best you can do is get 2x4tb. You can get 8tb sshd right now but then they are cheats and as I can see plenty of 8tb hdd, I know where most of storage is in them.