File association with .flv files not working correctly

kpoindext

Prominent
Apr 21, 2017
Let me describe my set up first. I have a QNAP NAS which holds my multimedia files. Next are my desktop running Win 10 version 1607, a laptop running win 10 version 1703, and several android devices. All equipment is current with all updates and VLC software. The laptop was recently upgraded from version 1511 to 1703, that's where the problems started. I actually have two problems. 1) when trying to watch a video from the NAS, the laptop now copies the entire file before starting to play instead of streaming the file and playing immediately. 2) The bigger problem, .flv files are recognized by the os file association as belonging to the VLC player, but when I open file explorer, File explorer says that .flv files belong to Windows Media player. If I open VLC and try to open a .flv file, the navigator within VLC does not even see any .flv files. All other file types(.avi, .ts .mp4 . mkv .etc) work as expected, other than problem number 1 above. If I try to play the .flv file with Windows Media Player, it just hangs.

All file types work as expected on the desktop and android devices, and did work correctly when the laptop was on 1511.

So if anyone has any ideas, please share them,

Thanks

Solution

kpoindext

Prominent
Apr 21, 2017

Thanks Paul, but VLC has all the codecs, but just to be sure I loaded a set. All I got was a message that VLC already has all the codecs. Plus the .flv files work fine on my desktop and android devices, so my GUESS is that is is a Windows problem, not a VLC issue.

USAFRet

Titan

OK....easily fixable.

I have:
Win 10 Pro, v1703
A QNAP NAS box (TS-453a)
.flv files.

They supposedly think they should open in Windows Media Player. Ha!

To fix:
Settings
Apps
Default Apps
Choose Default apps by file type
Scroll down until you see .flv
It may or may not say the default is VLC...Either way, tell it again.

Your .flv files should now be associated with VLC, and should start running as soon as you doubleclick.

Solution