Why do i have 72 svchost.exe process in my laptop?

Rainy_jour

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015
Hi guys,

I'm sure it's obviously abnormal and probably I've been hacked. Maybe they are virus,Trojan and backdoors. Of course I scanned my hard with bitdefender 2017 internet security and there's no any threat.

When I right click on them and open their locations all of them refers me to C:\Windows\System32.

Please tell me how can I determine they are safe or not.

Any kind of help will be really appreciated.

Screenshots:
http://i.imgur.com/A3YuFTz.png
http://i.imgur.com/gGcKy6f.png
http://i.imgur.com/qDVYaPt.png

Solution
svchost is a proxy used to run programs from DLL files. If you want to have a general idea of what one instance of svchost is doing, use Process Explorer to look at each instance's properties, more specifically the tab that tells you what system services are registered to that instance.

InvalidError

Titan
svchost is a proxy used to run programs from DLL files. If you want to have a general idea of what one instance of svchost is doing, use Process Explorer to look at each instance's properties, more specifically the tab that tells you what system services are registered to that instance.

Solution

Rainy_jour

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015

Thanks, bro.

Did you see the screenshots? Any comment?

gardenman

Splendid
I have 16 of them. The more software and services you have running, the more you will have.

svchost is a Service Host process. This is how Services run. You can see your Services by going into Task Manager and clicking on the Services tab.

Like InvalidError said, use Process Explorer. With it, you can see the services that's being run by each and every svchost by right clicking on them and choosing properties and going to the Services tab.

Each svchost can host *many* services. Most likely you won't know what the majority of them are for (I don't) and I wouldn't go disabling them unless you have studied up on it.

If you find a service that really feel must be disabled, use Task Manager and click on Open Services at the bottom of the Services tab. Be forewarned, disabling weird looking services could render your system unbootable.

Rainy_jour

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015

Colif

Win 11 Master
Before the creators edition they were all in groups, so 1 servicehost might have 12 or more service it operates on behalf of. Since the creators edition, Microsoft have given every service its own service host so its perfectly normal now.

gardenman

Splendid
Thanks Rainy and Colif, that's good updated info. I still haven't updated to Creators yet either, it's still not available on Win Update for me... I'm in no rush after all of the new bug / problem reports. I'll get it at some point, just in no rush.

I think Rainy answered his/her own question. I vote this as the answer.

Colif

Win 11 Master

its why i don't ask many questions, as soon as I ask them I tend to figure it out myself.

I told you in the post you made about updates that you can get it now by going to this page and clicking on the Update now button. It will download the upgrade assistant which, when run, will update win 10 to newest version without waiting up to 2 months for the update.

the only problems I have seen is windows using more ram on some PCs, and the usual booting after updates problem almost any update can cause.