Windows 10 Using Too Much RAM

Tremonti

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015
I have 8Gb of ram and windows usually eats the 4GB, when my pc on idle with litterally nothing is open it uses 4GB ram with around 60 background processes and 80 windows processes. The worst it gets when I try to play any games because half of my ram being eaten by windows useless stuff. Anyone knows how to disable most of these unnecessary stuff.
http://imgur.com/a/JCRhE

Solution
Try Downloading Process explorer and run it as admin (it comes from Microsoft so its safe)

the default view is tree structure meaning like your task manager screen, it will show what processes are under each service, but unlike task manager, it shows the ram usage of each part so you can see what is eating your ram

Private bytes = actual ram usage
Working set = Ram + page file usage

This page shows what all the colours and headings mean, link at bottom of it shows how to use it to find problems. You can right click headers and run an av scan from within the program.

try updating drivers as it may be a memory leak
My PC uses about 3gb with nothing running apart from windows which is about normal

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try Downloading Process explorer and run it as admin (it comes from Microsoft so its safe)

the default view is tree structure meaning like your task manager screen, it will show what processes are under each service, but unlike task manager, it shows the ram usage of each part so you can see what is eating your ram

Private bytes = actual ram usage
Working set = Ram + page file usage

This page shows what all the colours and headings mean, link at bottom of it shows how to use it to find problems. You can right click headers and run an av scan from within the program.

try updating drivers as it may be a memory leak
My PC uses about 3gb with nothing running apart from windows which is about normal

Solution
There may NOT be an actual problem here. I'm using 6GB right now (16GB installed) with only Google Chrome and three tabs open (and all the other background stuff).

Windows can REMOVE things from system memory if it needs to when you are gaming. The POINT of leaving stuff in system memory is so that Windows feels snappier overall. You may not use 80% of it in a session but if you DO need it then it loads fast.

Unless you're running out WHEN playing a game it's not an issue IMO. (do make sure to close all web browsers before gaming).

Colif

Win 11 Master
windows doesn't have an out of ram error, its an out of memory error and often that is actually the page file at fault here and driver leaks to blame.

Above post is right, windows will empty the space if you need it and put the data on the page file.

Another trick win 10 does is compresses all data from programs you use during the day into ram so if you reopen them it is much faster than opening it off hard drive again. If you need the space it will put it all on page file them.