My PC set back to how it was when I installed my ssd

MiniGiant

Honorable
Jan 24, 2016
As the title says, I was playing player unknown's battlegrounds and I finished a game and the loading screen froze. So I tried to alt tab and it wouldn't, so I control alt deleted, and pressed restart. Ans the screen went black saying like 9b. I then forced shut it down, and then turned it on. It said all setting are reset to default, so I pressed f2 for okay, and I logged in. Now my computer has the same wallpaper, shortcuts, and everything else set to back then, EVEN MY CHROME BOOKMARKS. Please tell me how to fix this, it says when I try to launch steam that steam.exe was changed or removed. If somebody has some light to shed on this that would be SO greatly needed. I just really need some help. Thanks,
Chris

Solution
I've seen this before.

Walk with me here...

System originally had the OS installed on an HDD?
And then you installed an SDD, and possibly cloned the OS to this drive? Or a clean install?
Fast forward several months...

Turn the PC on, and "Hey!!! it looks just like it did back in November!?!"

The last one I saw like this was due to a bad SATA cable.
The original OS still existed on the HDD. But untouched all these months.
Data cable for te SSD goes bad, or just disconnected.
Boot up, and the HDD is still in the BIOS boot order, just that it it below the SSD>

Upon seeing no SSD to boot from (bad cable), it goes down to the next option in the list...the old OS on the HDD.

Now, I could be completely wrong. But that exact scenario...

USAFRet

Titan
I've seen this before.

Walk with me here...

System originally had the OS installed on an HDD?
And then you installed an SDD, and possibly cloned the OS to this drive? Or a clean install?
Fast forward several months...

Turn the PC on, and "Hey!!! it looks just like it did back in November!?!"

The last one I saw like this was due to a bad SATA cable.
The original OS still existed on the HDD. But untouched all these months.
Data cable for te SSD goes bad, or just disconnected.
Boot up, and the HDD is still in the BIOS boot order, just that it it below the SSD>

Upon seeing no SSD to boot from (bad cable), it goes down to the next option in the list...the old OS on the HDD.

Now, I could be completely wrong. But that exact scenario happened to a guy here last year.
Exact same symptoms as you are seeing.

Solution

MiniGiant

Honorable
Jan 24, 2016

Thank you so much!!!!! I do have an M.2 SSD, but I went into the boot menu, and found that my SSD was replaced with my hdd... I don't know why that happened, but I fixed it. Thank you SOOO much dude. :)))))