how do i change my windows login back to my name/password?

coltaz

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
i have a toshiba laptop on windows 10. i am the sole user and administrator. my son borrowed it to change something on his xbox account. now when i come to log in it shows his username and needs his password. his is the only user account listed but it has all my settings. no idea how this has happened. how do I revert it back to my name and password? i don't want to create a new user account as this will wipe all my stuff. thanks.

Solution
it sounds like windows 10, when your son fixed his xbox account, also linked your user to his email. ITs "helpful" like that.

Actually setting up a local account in name you had, making it admin, and then copying the contents of the old user in c/users/username over top of new user folders gives you the same access as old user. From there all you need do is set up browsers, log back into steam and perhaps set up onedrive again - takes 5 minutes (I have done it myself) and you don't lose anything.

I would then make the other user just a local user as well (don't remove its admin rights until you have them on other use as well - bad things happen if you don't have any admin rights on PC)
> Go to your start button
> go up to...

Colif

Win 11 Master
it sounds like windows 10, when your son fixed his xbox account, also linked your user to his email. ITs "helpful" like that.

Actually setting up a local account in name you had, making it admin, and then copying the contents of the old user in c/users/username over top of new user folders gives you the same access as old user. From there all you need do is set up browsers, log back into steam and perhaps set up onedrive again - takes 5 minutes (I have done it myself) and you don't lose anything.

I would then make the other user just a local user as well (don't remove its admin rights until you have them on other use as well - bad things happen if you don't have any admin rights on PC)
> Go to your start button
> go up to the top and click on your profile name/account
> then click "change account settings"
> in the "your account" tab, just above your account picture there will be an option to select a button saying "log on using local account" or "change log on to local account" (something along these lines)
> click this, and it will give you an opportunity to (from now on) log onto your computer using a new password that IS NOT linked to your Hotmail or Microsoft account.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/how-to-unlink-or-disconnect-windows-10-from/e4f18771-4882-400f-bbcc-f19a4cd3fa9b?auth=1

Solution

coltaz

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015