Help on choosing a Monitor for my PC Gamer from scratch

Marcell9

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017
Hello guys :D

First of all I'm sorry for my bad english.

So, in the next week I'll finally have saved enough money for my little box. Until now I've played on a GTX 765m (errrghh... I know!). I'm planning a big upgrade.

I've researched a lot on the build I want, I even used as base the Tom's Guide of 2k Gamer PC, based on my local stores(Lisbon, Portugal) I chose the following components:

CPU: Intel Core I7 7700K 4.5GHz 8MB BOX
Motherboard: Asus Maximus IX Hero Intel Z270 SK1151
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Black DDR4 4x8GB 2400MHz CAS15 1.20v
Graphics Card: MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X 11G GDDR5 PCI-E
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO SSD M.2 NVMe 250GB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5
Water Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100i v2
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 80PLUS Gold Modular
Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 RGB MX Red PT

Mice I already have a good one.

This setup, from my local stores, it's a total of 2,460 €. The thing is that I don't have much more left for the Display Monitor, and I know it is very important to do the right choice. Upon hours of research a came across with several doubts like:

1. Assuming that I'll buy a GTX 1080Ti, having a 1080p Monitor would be a waste of graphics card?
2. I like big things, 24" or 27"? The difference is that much?
3. A good monitor, 1440p 144Hz, but without G-sync would still be good? Or it does worth to invest a bit more and get one with G-sync?
4. I have selected, based on the budget left, these Monitors, I would like your opinion on which you would select:

• - Asus MG278Q
    - Dell S2417DG
    or
    - Benq LED XL2730

Thanks in advance for you opinion, It will help me a lot :D

for a 1080Ti you'd want at least a 1440p screen
imo G-Sync is worth it, if you can afford it

I assume you have around 550€ left for a screen given your options?

there are a few things to consider:
Panel - TN, IPS, VA --> TN is the best for fast paced games and high refresh rates, IPS&VA do look better though but come with downsides. both have slower reaction times, VA usually significantly slower than TN. No problem if you're playing RPGs or Sandbox games, bit annoying if you're playing very competitive games
Refresh Rate - same goes for Refresh Rate. for competitive fast paced games a high refresh rate (120Hz+) can make a difference, overall it's nice in general but for pure eyecandy it's often better to go for other features, especially with the quality problems high refresh rate IPS panels experience
other features - ULMB (good for competitive shooters, useless for other games; comes with G-Sync), Quantum Dots (just greater colours than you can imagine) & Colour gamut, speakers (just don't, they're all crap), Ultrawide (21:9 instead of 16:9), curved
and then there's size. from what I'm reading you'd probably want a 27'' screen but it also depends on your desk. I'd like a 27'' but honestly, I don't have the space for it, so I'm getting a 24''. The question is how big your current screen is. on a regular desk a 24'' is fine imo, a 27'' is nice though.

my recommendations would be:

24'', G-Sync, TN, 144/165Hz: the Dell you've listed is nice, but the Acer XB241YU appears to be better imo those would be the 24'' 1440p screens (also called ultrasharp). they have a ridiculous pixel density. some people dig that, others don't.
27'', G-Sync, TN, 144/165Hz: Dell S2716DG or Acer Predator XB271HUA (UM.HX1EE.A01) -- Asus is just too expensive in this department
27'', G-Sync, IPS/VA: out of your price range
27'', 144/165Hz, IPS: Acer XF270HUb
27'', 144/165Hz, TN: ASUS MG278Q, BenQ Zowie XL2730 (however I find it pretty overpriced, you can get a Dell S2716DG for that price usually)
27'', 60Hz, Quantum Dots, VA, curved: Samsung C27H711QEU (with 125% colour gammut, instead of 90-100% as the others)
27'', 60Hz, IPS, 4k-resolution (3840x2160): Acer H7 H277HK

Marcell9

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017

Hi Isokolon,

Thank you for your reply :)
Yes I do have 550€, it's actually my limit :D

In the very begging of my digging I found the Acer Predator XB241YU, I loved it's design and features, the only downside was the 24" (Not that big). But the problem is that, surprisingly, I simple couldn't find it in any local stores. I did find the Acer Predator XB271HU, but I have no clue why it costs here 800€. I liked you Dell suggestion, S2716DG, and I found it here yey :D

I'm thinking, now that you've cleared my mind about the important monitor specs, to save money for a Dell S2716DG not buying the KM780 Keyboard and opting for a cheaper one. The Keyboard I can buy later, the important is to chose wisely the flat screen.

Yeah the Acer has a horrible availability.
There are like 4 stores in whole Europe that have it, one being Amazon UK, the other one being Alternate.

There are 2 Acer XB271HU.
The HUA.... is the cheaper TN
The HUb.... is the more popular but more expensive IPS

Good thinking. Honestly I don't think expensive keyboards are really worth it. I'm on a 22€ Logitech and all my needs are met. But you can upgrade later on of course.