How do I stop "Get Tom's Hardware Right in Your Inbox " popup ?? On Tom's ??

Rheotome

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015
Irritating popup every time I enter Tom's prompting me to "Get Tom's Hardware Right in Your Inbox" What if I DON'T want that feature ?? How can I stop this ??

I've got to agree this is by far one of the most irritating things Toms has done, and has greatly decreased my viewing of the website. I've just moved to getting my tech news elsewhere that doesn't make me jump through hoops or disable things to to click things.

Fun thing to do though, every time that window pops up enter any random thing that looks like an email address into. Hopefully they aren't checking any of it and end up with a database full of garbage.

Seriously though do people really want more junk sent to their inbox... It's just more stuff for me to flag as spam, and never see again.

Graybush

Respectable
Feb 13, 2017
Hi there!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. The popup is only supposed to appear once, so it is either malfunctioning or it could be a cookies issue. We will be investigating on the matter. Thank you again!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i get that everytime i click sign in at the top. m browser logs me out everytime i close it so i face this everytime i log back in for a session.

not sure if it is a cookie issue as i am pretty sure i don't block them on this site. what kind of a log file are you looking for that can help you? i'd be happy to send one in if i can get it.

Graybush

Respectable
Feb 13, 2017

If you can replicate the problem or come across it again, screenshots will be the best place to start there.

It will popup once, if the history, cookies and logins wouldn´t be deleted when I close my browser.

I won´t change my settings because of this.

But why is this popup coming up while clicking on login? Please deactivate this popup at least while clicking on "log in" and completely after I logged in.

alex_MTR

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014
It's been happening for over 2 months. This happens when visiting your homepage, so you couldn't have possibly not noticed this for at least 2 months. It's not like people related in any way to Tom's Hardware, its employees or some journalists didn't notice this issue. This is happening constantly, regardless if people are already subscribed to the newsletter. Clearing cookies doesn't work either.

Hey, it took you 2 months to say "we're working with the developer team on it". What were they doing this whole time? Being busy while getting paid for something they're obviously not doing. Certainly not paying this website a single visit. In over 2 months. Not TH fans, I guess. If you didn't get it: people are telling you there's a huge pile of excrement in front of your front door...yet you fail to do something about it for two whole months. (because hey, you "hadn't noticed") You have no idea how much this stinks. Clean this up already, please!
Happy New Year!
That's in advance for when you'll announce the issue has been "fixed". (We all know that was intentional spam on your part).

If you don´t clear history/cookies of your browser it will popup just once.

But many people prefere to delete the history and cookies after closing the browser, so it will popup every time, the browser freshly opens.

@alex_MTR
to get someone to improve something, complain early and the more people the better.

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
Still happening to me even though I'm logged in. No deleting cookies/history. Very frequently like 1-2 times a day after perusing all the day's articles. Maddening since when I shift-click the article the popup happens and when I close it the new article opens in the same page instead of a new tab. Then I have to click back and reload the process hungry main page before I can open the next article in a new tab. *grumble* And then you've got the videos that play automatically in the middle of the article. Who's in charge of this <mod edit>?