PC incredibly slow booting and work after clean win 10 reinstall

Fiah__

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017
Greetings everyone. I've been looking around all the internet for a solution to this but the more I keep searching the more I'm starting to think my pc might be actually damaged.

I have a dell laptop, i5 processor 8gb ram 2.6GHz (win10) for two years now, until recently it started failing on me, being super slow and some files even got corrupted. I probably installed a virus, even tho I only know this happened after I installed Paladins via steam. Anyways,

The next time I've booted i got stuck on automatic repair loop which i got out of by removing some starforce protection drivers that were corrupted (i checked if they have anything to do with windows but it seemed like they didn't) and I managed to work on my pc again.

After that my pc started acting really slow. freezing when I'm playing or taking too much time to load apps. The next time I tried to boot windows wouldn't even start. So I got win10 on a usb flash drive and did a clean install. The PC is really clean but it's insanely slow. It managed to get some updates for win10 and i had to restart to complete updates.

It takes far too much time to boot up (I'm talking like 10 or more minutes) windows and programs aren't responsive like they should be. It also seems I'm having blue screens of death right now.

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong here or more importantly, is there a way to get my laptop back in shape, or should I get a whole new setup?

I'm seriously frustrated, I'll appreciate any of your help.

Fiah__

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017

It's hdd. And I'm getting 0xc0000e9 errors which boldly indicate that the hdd is corrupt or damaged even. I can't use the pc anymore now. I guess my core problem is the hdd.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yeah, all the signs point at drive being the crux of problem, since it was happening before the fresh install i can't blame it solely on the drivers.

one fix I found was run start up repair off the Installer
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

another fix is rebuild the boot sector
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
Type the following commands in the Command Prompt window hitting the Enter key after each of them:
cd /d Partition:\Windows\System32
bcdedit /enum all
bcdedit -create {bootmgr} -d “Description”
bcdedit -set {bootmgr} device partition=Partition:
bcdedit /displayorder {GUID}
bcdedit /default {GUID}
bcdedit /timeout Value
Finally, restart your PC.

if neither of these help, you might need a new hdd.

Fiah__

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017
I sent the pc with info about the problem to get fixed by someone with better brain to this than me. If he somehow doesn't figure it out I'll try your method, thank you a lot either way.
I'll keep this thread updated incase someone somehow ended up in my position.

Fiah__

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017
Status update for the curious:

IT guy found out a part of my hard disk called S.M.A.R.T. is damaged and needs to be replaced. Can someone tell me how I even managed to damage this part? I'm thinking it's too many force shutdowns over the years, or maybe something i installed?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Self Monitoring and Repair Tool is a process built into all hard drives, I don't know how it could be damaged though I can understand how it could reveal damage and if it does, only way to fix is replace hard drive.

Hard drives die from old age, usage, etc. they just do after a few years, if you can make one last 10 years you doing well. They one of the most common things to stop working in a PC.