Monitors loses signal while playing games?

vanish215

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017
For the last 2-3 weeks now I've been trying to find solutions about what is going on with my monitors or my graphics card, I've been looking through the forums and it seems a lot of people have had the same problem as I am having now but everyone has different problems!

I have had the computer for a year and a half!

When I lose signal to both monitors and I am in discord or have a video on I can still hear the audio and everything.. If I'm talking to a friend and it shuts off on me I can still talk to them!

My specs
NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 960
Intel core i7-4790k CPU @ 4.00GHz
16.0 GB
64 Bit
600W Power Supply
I also have watercooling!
( Sorry if I didn't provide enough info )

I have been looking over the temp of when I am not playing games and it's around 30-40 but when I do around 40-55..

I'm not a big expert about computers but people have been telling me that it may be my monitors which I don't think so because the monitors that are getting no signal I've tested on another PC and it worked but I tested a new monitor with new cables on this PC and it lost signal whilst trying to play a game.

There is no specific time when the monitors lose signal it could be an hour, 30 minutes or instantly as I launch the game.

Both of my monitors are on HDMI, I've tried many things such as..
Taking graphics card out and cleaning it.
Reinstalling my drivers
trying new cables to my monitors
overclocking...

I'm just trying to find out what the main problem is so I can either replace a part or fix it on my own.

( If you need anymore information let me know! )
Thank you!

Solution
Test the GTX960 in other PC with a good PSU, like in your friend PC, or go to pc shop ask for help.

Also update the chipset driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/1145/Intel-Chipset-Software-Installation-Utility , and try again with gtx960, this time you need boot into the BIOS, in hardware monitor section ( or pc health monitor section, or something like that) to check the +3.3V, +5V, and +12V. You want to see those voltages are within +/- 5%, if they are the PSU is fine, otherwise the PSU has problem.

I can't find the info on the ATM-600FB PSU, but I think the problem is from it. You can try to take the gtx960 out, use onboard intel iGPU, and try use discord again to see what happens. If the PC works fine, no lose signal. That means the PSU may have problem to power the gtx960, assumed the gtx960 works fine, and you can test the gtx960 in other PC, make sure use the good PSU.

vanish215

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017

Ok I'll try it ty

vanish215

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017

It's been about 30 minutes and so far no signal loss!

vanish215

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017

So it's been an hour now and it would of loss signal by now but how do you know that it's my PSU and not my graphics card? I just want to be sure before purchasing a new part!

Test the GTX960 in other PC with a good PSU, like in your friend PC, or go to pc shop ask for help.

Also update the chipset driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/1145/Intel-Chipset-Software-Installation-Utility , and try again with gtx960, this time you need boot into the BIOS, in hardware monitor section ( or pc health monitor section, or something like that) to check the +3.3V, +5V, and +12V. You want to see those voltages are within +/- 5%, if they are the PSU is fine, otherwise the PSU has problem.

Solution

vanish215

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017

Just checked the voltages to my PSU are..
So I'm assuming this is fine? * I didn't have my graphics card in whilst doing this *
Sorry if I did it wrong but if I need to put graphics card in I will do so.

Akshayxd

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015

Hi just wanted to see if you found a fix for this? I'm running identical specs and having the same issue currently

jonesbrandyn031

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017

Hey it's vanish215, I lost password on main but I wanted to respond to you quickly because I know it's annoying to wait.. I decided to order a new graphics card ( gtx 1050 ) to try it out and see if it might of fixed it, ever since then It has been working perfectly in every way it should be running like. I do consider you try to buy a graphics card and if it doesn't work then just return it! ( But keep in mind there are people with different issues such as monitor problems or psu issues, etc.. ) Hope you fix it!

Akshayxd

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015

Thanks for your swift reply!
I've done a bit of testing but noticed others having a similar issue with the same nvidia driver update.
I've currently rolled back to a previous update and haven't seen the issue yet.