Black Screen After Shutdown & Black Screen on Boot

Stubbbsy

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017
Problem: (My Struggle)
Computer takes between 2 - 30 minutes to shut down 80% of the time (I'm going to call this problem stalling in the rest of the post). The other 20% of the time the computer shuts down in 3-5 seconds as per normal. When it stalls ,both monitors shut off their displays and Windows is also 'Shut Down' but the PC itself (Fans, LEDs, and GPU Fans) all stay running and lit.

Here's where things get a little harder to follow:
- When the computer is stalling and I let it run its course (2 - 30 minute shutdown) on it's own, the next time I go to boot it up it does not work. It won't post, it won't boot into BIOS, and it won't boot to the OS. The only thing it does is power on, light up, and flash assorted colored pixels across the screen in a scattered line for 2 seconds or so.

- When the computer is stalling and I hold the power button for 5~ seconds and force shutdown the computer, the next time I go to boot it up it does work. No issues, boots in the normal 5-8 seconds and I am up and running.

Build: (Current Hardware)

• Windows 10 Home Edition (Version 1703 OS Build 15063.138)
    Intel i7-6700K @ 4.00 GHz (I do not overclock)
    32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3200MHz
    Asus Z170-A
    SLI EVGA GTX 1080 SC

Tested: (What I have tried to do)
- Disable Fastboot (Did not work)
- Update BIOS (Did not work)
- Uninstall all programs I installed around the time it started (Did not work)
- Change the 'Power Settings' in Windows (Did not work)
- Update Windows 10 More (Did not work)
- Safe Mode Shutdown (DID WORK, Granted I have only tested this once so it could have been that 20% chance)
- Control Panel > Troubleshooting > System and Security > Fix problems with Windows Update
So when I do the Troubleshooting 'fix' listed above, the Windows Update Troubleshooting agent says:
'Service registration is missing or corrupt Fixed ✓'
'Check for pending updates' Fixed ✓'
But these 'fixes' show up everytime I run the troubleshooter, as if they're never actually fixed.

Changes that I made around the time the issue started:

• Updated to the Creator's Edition of Windows 10
    Got new Mouse (Razer Mamba) & Keyboard (Razer Ornata)
    Installed Razer Synapse
    Installed EdgeDeflector & Chrometana (Chrome Extension)

(The Software listed above (Synapse, EdgeDeflector, Chrometana) have all be uninstalled to check if they were the issue but it did not fix the issue)

Any help or suggestions at this point would be great, because forcing shutting down my PC isn't the way to go.
I am also slowly going insane over this.
Thank you in advance for any help you can lend!

Solution
Hi Stubbbsy, Good day. I'm Just strolling around. I might have experienced a problem like this sometime ago. my guess here is corrupted windows update. If I'm not mistaken, I've read somewhere in microsoft that both OS, bios and drivers are updated via windows update occasionally. I've avoid this problem by turning off the automatic update, or just wait for a new update that would overwrite the corrupted one. If you should ask me why does it run perfect for sometime, then, remember that win8 to win10 and onward can revert failed changes on the system and try to install it again. I hope my comment could give you an idea of what you should do.

Phil1989

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017
Hi Stubbbsy, Good day. I'm Just strolling around. I might have experienced a problem like this sometime ago. my guess here is corrupted windows update. If I'm not mistaken, I've read somewhere in microsoft that both OS, bios and drivers are updated via windows update occasionally. I've avoid this problem by turning off the automatic update, or just wait for a new update that would overwrite the corrupted one. If you should ask me why does it run perfect for sometime, then, remember that win8 to win10 and onward can revert failed changes on the system and try to install it again. I hope my comment could give you an idea of what you should do.

Solution