Video playback issue on the new Windows 10 Creator's Update when media player is fullscreen

onlythefreshness

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2015
I'm using Windows 10 Home 64bit and the update version i'm on is 1703 (KB4018483) and is installed on a Samsung 850 Evo through sata 3.

I am using a Sapphire R9 290 Tri-OC. My AMD driver is up-to-date on the public driver 17.4.2

I recently manually updated to the Creator's Update to test out the new Gaming Mode for myself and it has caused a big issue. When I watch a video (any format, I've tested mp4, avi, mov and WebM) my video player starts to lag briefly and consecutively for the entire video. This issue has occured on VLC and WMP. I haven't tried any other video players but when I full-screen a Youtube video, there is not lag. I have both disabled and enabled freesync on my AOC G2460PF and tried to watch the video and no success. I have uninstalled VLC, cleared my cashe and setting, reinstalled and it's the same. I have uninstalled my AMD driver and reinstalled and not fix.
I have tried previous threads answers about raising the frame skipping, disabling hardware acceleration and changing the video output and still no fix.

I also have a WD Blue 1Tb that the media is being played off of. I checked the health of my drive and its good and will be for a while. I tried moving a watching a video file from my HDD to my SSD and I get the same result. Its worth noting that when the video lags, there is a white/grey shroud over the video, it goes away in a second or two but it looks like my disk is not currently running or the video is corrupted (I checked for video corruption and the video plays fine on my friends laptop. This is a sample of what I have to deal with now http://imgur.com/a/Rre5f

I'm assuming this is a bug with the new software but its so incredibly annoying and it causes some of my games like starcraft broodwar to have the same effect which is a very big problem. I have looked into downgrading back to the anniversary update but whats the point if they are just going to force me to update to this again?

Edit: I would like to note that all of my applications open 3-7 second slower since the Creator's update.

Solution

99Hacks

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017
First open the power settings, then click "change plan settings" beside the "balanced (recommended)" option. Then click "change advanced power settings" on the screen that appears. In the dialog box, scroll down and expand "Multimedia settings". Then expand "when playing video" and then change the "plugged in" option to balanced.

Hope that helps.
Please reply back if you found this useful.

onlythefreshness

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2015

Unfortunately the issue is still occurring when I changed the setting and applied it. Thank you for your help though.

onlythefreshness

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2015

Unfortunately not. I have a suspension that it's dying hardware like my HDD the thing is ancient. But sometimes it goes away for me when I unplug my PC when I take it to a LAN.

What may help give you more insight to this is that I have kind of frequent power outages at my place so that may be effecting my PC to cause that issue. I don't know. Is your hardware kind of dated?

Jamesharrison318

Prominent
May 30, 2017

check my post at end of page 3

http://

i fixed both my laptop and desktop

there are pictures of it.

Solution

onlythefreshness

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2015

Okay so its not exactly clear but did you change your cpu's speed then changed it back and had the issue fixed or did you just change the speed entirely ? I changed my 8120 to a low frequency the changed it back and didn't see a difference . I will report back if something changes.

Edit: Changing the max frequency to 109mhz seemed to fix the lag issue. Thank you for the fix but how exactly does this help? My CPU clock speed is still 3.35Ghz which is my over clock speed on my CPU and I haven't fired up Witcher 3 yet but I hope to not see and performance degradation.

Jamesharrison318

Prominent
May 30, 2017

open task manger like i did in the picture so you can see cpu usage, when you play a video your cpu speed should be 3.1GHZ to 3.4GHz on that FX-8120 processor. screen shot it for me while playing a 1080P video.

Jamesharrison318

Prominent
May 30, 2017
open task manger like i did in the picture so you can see cpu usage, when you play a video your cpu speed should be 3.1GHZ to 3.4GHz on that FX-8120 processor. screen shot it for me while playing a 1080P video

Jamesharrison318

Prominent
May 30, 2017

i am saying that in the MHz box you should have a zero which is going to be windows default (like doing a fresh win 10 creator install.) you need it 335 in that box exmple 335 x 10 = 3.35GHz which will keep your cpu at that top speed all the time even at idle. it you have zero in the box at idle your cpu speed should be 1.3 GHz to 1.5GHz which would be the min power saving speed. so try 0 in the box then start the video, then try 335 in the box and start the video to see if one works better.