Laptop won't boot after Creator's Update install

SDDefiant

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017
I recently left my Lenovo Y580 (i7-3630qm 8gb GTX 660M) to install the windows Creator's update a few nights ago. I woke up to the laptop in the Lenovo boot recovery screen. Which says my recovery media is not properly formatted.

I figure the update probably botched, tried restarting a few times, keeps placing me back at the Recovery screen. Decide to use my Windows USB Boot drive to repair my PC using startup repair or similar: system restore shows no Windows restore points for me to recover into.

Windows startup repair throws "Startup repair couldn't repair your PC"

I decided to just reset the PC using my recovery drive. I get a "There was an error resetting your PC"

EDIT 1
I also tried to use Windows advanced boot options to get into any of the safe mode boot.. it just puts me on the desktop with no start menu. It's on safe mode, definitely - but it will not respond to Start + R or Ctrl +Alt +Del.

Now, normally I would just reformat the drives, reinstall my stuff and go about my business.. But I don't have a Windows 10 installer, this laptop was a Windows 8 unit originally and I'm worried I'll lose my Windows 10 license if I reformat.

Help greatly appreciated!

Seems the update installation was not successful and somehow it corrupted the recovery drive.... Now reformatting may cause u to loose ur license.... The only option am seeing is taking it to lenovo if its under warranty and ask them to repair it...

jpe1701

Honorable
From what I understand about windows 10 it's connected to your Microsoft account now because my system crashed because of the update too and when I reinstalled it I just clicked the link that says "I don't have a key" and finished and it says my windows is activated by a key linked to my account.

SDDefiant

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017
Thanks for the quick replies!

Sadly this laptop and well past the original warranty and the original warranty period.

I vaguely remember seeing that option somewhere before. Might be worth a shot, yeah.. I'll update regarding what happens if I do decide to do a straight up reformat.

*Edited post with new information as well

SDDefiant

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017

It's an OEM key.. So the key should be the sticker attached to the bottom of my laptop, I think

Nowadays, i dont think the oem keys are stickered at the bottom... i highly doubt it.....
Like what jpe1701 said, i just realized that the windows key is actually connected with your microsoft account, so just formatting and logging in will get your license back...

MiniYo

Prominent
May 6, 2017
i have the same problem and my solution was done by join in safe mode and uninstall Geforce drivers, after that seems that everything works

elvanlady

Prominent
May 19, 2017

I had the same thing happen. GTX 750.