40+ svchost.exe processes in Windows 10 after clean install

MarkoGasi

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017
I had svchost,exe problems on my Windows 10. I had maybe around 20 of them, and they were eating up my resources, so I decided to do a clean install. I installed Windows 10 and deleted everything from my HDD, and now I don't have 20 of them, I have 40 and even more... Could someone please help me with this issue, many said that you need to wait around 1-2 days for those processes to settle down, but I clean installed Windows 2 weeks ago...

Solution
They aren't new, they were always there. you may have less running since you did a fresh install. this is what it looked like before
18704d1485951224-restart-explorer-exe-process-windows-10-a-restart_explorer_in_task_manager.png
Ignore yellow text, its just an example

Notice how next to service host: local system it showed 18 in brackets - this shows how many services run under local, you could see them by clicking the little arrow next to name. having 18 under under one servicehost made it hard to work out cause of memory and CPU problems before. Those 18 services on 1703 now have an individual service host so they been split up.

They always existed, the only difference is they...

Mr-Turbo

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016
This is probably the windows update service, I've had this problem as well before were the update service got stuck in a loop of failing updates and it was eating up all my ram and CPU, I've just decided to turn of the update service as I didn't really care about the updates and that fixed my problem.

MarkoGasi

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017

The problem is that I already did that... Can you tell me how you did it, to make sure I did it right?
You disabled it in services.msc, right?

Mr-Turbo

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016

I've just found a forum page were they explain this pretty good, it's for windows 7 but it will still work.
here it is: http://computerstepbystep.com/windows_update_service.html
that's how i did it

MarkoGasi

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017

Yeah, I am, but why is that? This is obviously going to slow everybody's PC... Ughh Microsoft....

jensrobot

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
Just a quick thought. Are you sure the 40 processes actually take up more resources than before? It's not a given, but it could be more technical than what we know about, for example they spread the work loads out on all 40 processes, reserves some processes that's not draining any resources while idle or something...

MarkoGasi

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017

Not sure, to be honest, but I think it is using more memory than before...

Colif

Win 11 Master
sigh... before the Creators edition there was 16 service hosts that had services grouped underneath them, but as of the creators edition, MS have removed them from groupings and now every service has a host. There aren't more running, you can just see them now.

It will make identifying which is using all your ram, cpu or internet much easier in future

MarkoGasi

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017

Oh, ok. So it's supposed to be that many of them? They are using a lot of resources to be honest ( maybe 200000k )

Colif

Win 11 Master
Whether they should be using as much as they are is another question. I have about 72 of them on an older install but many of them don't use much ram, like 800-900 kb, biggest is 14mb - seems some are still grouped as biggest has 5 things under it. Your figure seems pretty big

Many of them are needed for windows to function. 40 isn't that many.

Colif

Win 11 Master
how much ram do you have? are these slowing you down at all or are you just worried you have too many? windows will manage your ram and if you need it, close things it doesn't need. I wouldn't worry about what its doing unless its causing problems.

MarkoGasi

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017

I have 8 GBs of RAM, and I'm more worried because there is so many more processes than before, and I thought this must be killing the performance of my pc... I made this thread because I did clean install because of the old 14 processes that happened on my old windows 10, and now when I saw 40+ of them I tried watch dogs 2 and it was playable with medium settings, but I really do remember that the frames were much higher when I didn't have this problem, but now I start realising this is " new " windows's process and that I can't do much about it... Still thank you for your help and your time spent trying to help me.

My specs ( if this helps you in anyway ):
i3 6100
Sapphire RX 460 2GB
8 GB DDR3 RAM
500 GB Toshiba HDD

Colif

Win 11 Master
They aren't new, they were always there. you may have less running since you did a fresh install. this is what it looked like before
18704d1485951224-restart-explorer-exe-process-windows-10-a-restart_explorer_in_task_manager.png
Ignore yellow text, its just an example

Notice how next to service host: local system it showed 18 in brackets - this shows how many services run under local, you could see them by clicking the little arrow next to name. having 18 under under one servicehost made it hard to work out cause of memory and CPU problems before. Those 18 services on 1703 now have an individual service host so they been split up.

They always existed, the only difference is they are easier to see now.

Performance issues might be due to other things. Did you check motherboard web site after install to see you have latest drivers?

Solution