No signal on monitor with Zotac GT 730, iGPU works fine, HD 2000

Sagar_20

Distinguished
Hey there.. i have recently ran into a problem after i replaced my 4gb dual kit with a total of 6gb of ram.. Everything is fine with the iGPU but as soon as i install the Zotac GT 730, my monitor just goes blank.. Since i've got a vga monitor, i connect the monitor to my cpu via an active adapter which is made by hp but i have had no problem like this before. Any idea whats making this happen?? Well.. I have recovered from a horrible cmos battery issue so don't tell me to reset it. I have replaced it with a new cr2032 3v panasonic battery which eventually reset the bios. Anything else that helps will be highly appreciated,

Solution
remove one stick of the system memory [go back to 4gb ] and try the card again if it works HP may have a ''total system memory limit ] and adding the extra memory as you did + the cards memory puts you over and may not work [ sounds crazy but true ]

if this is a new graphics card upgrade as well maybe the card is not supported under the motherboards bios

some models of store bought computers [dell.hp,acer,ect..] may come with a ''locked or fixed'' / legacy or uefi bios and may not allow you to change certain hardware as a video card.. this is done to protect them from undue warranty claims and refunds .this is not done to hurt you but to protect them. you really need to see if that upgrade has been proven to work in your...
remove one stick of the system memory [go back to 4gb ] and try the card again if it works HP may have a ''total system memory limit ] and adding the extra memory as you did + the cards memory puts you over and may not work [ sounds crazy but true ]

if this is a new graphics card upgrade as well maybe the card is not supported under the motherboards bios

some models of store bought computers [dell.hp,acer,ect..] may come with a ''locked or fixed'' / legacy or uefi bios and may not allow you to change certain hardware as a video card.. this is done to protect them from undue warranty claims and refunds .this is not done to hurt you but to protect them. you really need to see if that upgrade has been proven to work in your model first before you invest money in it .. there are a lot of these threads here at toms to look at some models will allow upgrades and some dont.. and a lot of guys here say ya ya ya when is really no no no...it would be sad you spent $200 on a card that won't post after you installed it as most find out. then get told its your psu and you spend more and end up right back where you are now, but its up to you good luck..

you got to know the boards in these computers are not like the ones we use to do custom builds witch are open to upgrading with in the boards compatibly . the bios is custom made for there design and just for the parts they authorize to be used on there computers there only guaranteed to work as is out of the box as you bought it ,..

also these boards do not have to meet atx standards and there pci-e slot power may not do the required 75w needed for most higher end cards and can be limited to say 45 or 60w that is all thats needed with the low end factory oem cards that it may of shipped with
[example]
http://en.community.dell.com/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/3514/1030.DESKTOP.jpg

in the end any upgrade you do is all your own risk . the prebuilt manufactures only guarantees there computers work as sold to you as is out of the box from there factory with what they put on it , not a drop more

there in business to sell you whole ready to go computers , and dont worry about you upgrading them or giving you support to do so . thats not how they make there money they prefer you run to wal-mart and buy there ''better'' latest models

Solution

Sagar_20

Distinguished

Omg. All of a sudden everything is back to normal again. Thanks for the help anyway junkey monkey.. All i did was (i) i shut down the computer unplugged the computer, hold down the power key for about a minute and then (ii) plugged the hp hdmi to vga adapter into the gpu Tightly.. Probably (ii) did the trick because i have got a Dell Inspiron 620s (slim desktop) which is barely enough to hold all the components properly.. On its back is a locking mechanism which sits along the 4 PCIe slots which doesn't let the hdmi go in properly, while the dvi-d port chills. ( I should have bought the dvi to vga instead....)

Actually many things went wrong at once with me. A few days back, i had replaced one of the memory sticks of my Samsung 4Gb dual channel kit with a 4Gb ddr3 G.Skill Ripjaws X to make it a total of 6gb, so that i could play gta 5 without any stuttering. But as i turned on the system, i was greeted with a no signal warning on my display. which could possibly have been due to a loose hdmi connection since i use an adapter, no direct connection.. Or maybe the cmos battery would have gotten discharged due to my mistake.. To fix the same, i opened up the side panel of my computer, and reset the ram and gpu along with the cmos battery but it made the things worse instead.. My cpu started making 5 beeps. So, i looked into the e-manual of my mb, H61 which told me that it is a cmos battery failure. Now realizing that my pc has been in use from the last 6 years, its cmos battery might actually have died, i ordered a same spec panasonic cr2032 battery to replace it. But guess what? The problem still didn't get fixed.. I was still getting 5 beeps..

Now i started troubleshooting the system again today.. I again reset the battery, gpu and the ram. Tried the old ram config as well. At once, the 5 beeps had gone completely and the bios was reset, and i got the display but this time i was trying the 4gb dual channel kit which i already had. So, i then replaced that kit with 2+4, which i actually wanted but as i turned on my computer, i was back to the no signal display.....

After some research, i found out that this (No signal problem) generally occurs due to some power limitation or a loose connection or maybe a gpu that has gone bad.. So, i checked for all those issues and im glad it didn't took me long to get back to the display..

The main problem i was greeted with was actually the cmos battery.. I reset it many times but i succeeded only for like 2/10 times. Even with the new battery.. and i wonder how all of a sudden the old cmos battery got dead??