PC crashes when playing

datpizzaguy

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017
Hello,

So to describe my problem... since yesterday, my computer crashes when I try to play games. It runs more than fine, as usual, but then what happens is that all of a sudden while playing, my main screen turns into some random color (had brown, blue, grey...), sometimes with vertical stripes, and it's all I can see. My second monitor just turns black. I can still hear my friends on discord/teamspeak for a couple of seconds after it happens, then nothing. I need to reset the computer.

And if this wasn't annoying already as it is, after resetting, when I try to turn it back on, it doesn't. Well, it does, the computer does turn on, but my screens stay black, not detecting anything. It takes several attempts. It only does this after having to reset after a crash tho - my PC runs perfectly if this wasn't for those crashes.

Nothing happens ingame before those crashes or anything. I have great FPS, no issues whatsoever. When they happen, those crashes really feel like they come out of nowhere. It's been crashing while I was playing Arma 3. I have tried Dead by Daylight, to see if this was just game related, but it crashed once as well. I didn't crash for Bad Company 2, which might be understandable as it is an older game.

I do need to mention; it did this a couple of weeks ago, I thought I somehow fixed it because I have been fine ever since, but it started again yesterday and this is getting really annoying.

My specs:
CPU: INTEL CORE I7-4790K 4.0 GHz
GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z87-G43 GAMING
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 16 GB (2*8)
HDD: SEAGATE BARRACUDA HDD 2TB
SSD: SAMSUNG EVO 850 SSD 250 GB
PSU: EVGA 210-GQ-0750-V2 750W 80+ Gold
WATERCOOLING: COOLER MASTER SEIDON 120V

While doing a GPU stress test with FurMark :
Image 1
Image 2

My GPU sits at around 40° while not playing any games (46 as we speak).

Here is what I get for my CPU (not while playing, took this screenshot while FurMark was doing its thing):

I have tried to update my drivers for pretty much everything, this hasn't fixed it.

I have also tried to check WhoCrashed, but is isn't finding anything: "Crash dumps are enabled but no valid crash dumps have been found. In case you are experiencing system crashes, it may be that crash dumps are prevented from being written out".

Kind of lost at the moment... hoping to get some help. Thanks!

Bad video card or power supply are the two top things that can cause this. Where there any driver changes before the issue? If temps are OK you can try a clean Windows setup and see if that helps. If not, need to test your card in another system or another similar card in yours to see where the issue is.

TRENDING THREADS