Windows 10 Black Screen

LoganSniper

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017
Hey Tom,
I've searched the world over and still have not found an answer to this problem, When I play any media with windows 10 media player, or now after installing my Skyrim game back on my system I get a Black screen with sound and I have to reboot my system cause I can't do anything with it once it's in this state. I have all new everything in this system with new install of everything and updated, I have done clean installs of everything, I've even asked Microsoft multiple times about this with no answer from them, but then what's new with that right? LOL, so I'm reaching out to you cause I've been following your works for some years now you never fail to figure out what the experts seem to fail to figure out about these kinds of things, I hope you get some royalties from them for doing their job for them :) LOL, So any ways I need to get a fix for this, I can play media in VLC just fine but anything that is Microsoft media player goes to black screen with sound, and now after reinstalling my skyrim back onto my system it goes to black as well, I do play ESO and it works fine or as fine as it works LoL, but that's a another story, I have a GTX 1080 GPU, just installed the Asus ROG Maximus 10 motherboard, with i5-7600k cpu 16gb ddr4 ram 4700, liquid cool system by corsair nothing overheating running like a top and this problem isn't a new one it's been happening for a few years now, just depends on if you're lucky or not I guess cause my base system install is windows 8.1 pro, but recently Microsoft has once again offered the upgrade to windows 10 so I went with windows 10 creator upgrade but it doesn't matter which of them you use the same problem exist in both, so here I am writing a book to you about this so maybe it can help others as well. I'm in the thought that it maybe something in the registry that is causing this to happen, maybe it's putting the screen in a sleep mode when playing media types, I'm no expert about these things I'm just using observation, but once it's in that state there's nothing to tell it to wake up, or it's putting the media in the background maybe? not sure all I do know is once it's entered into this state I have no control over my PC until I reboot it. I look forward to hearing from you! Thank you for all your wonderful works over the years!!!

So if it only happens in WMP, why not just stick to VLC? I know you don't want to hear that answer, but if VLC works j ust fine, I don't see a need for WMP.

But to dig deeper, when it goes black, can you move your mouse cursor? Does the the fans stop spinning, or slow down? Can you hit CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up the lock screen? Are you trying to go full screen?

LoganSniper

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017

It isn't something that only affects WMP as my book above tried to outline it happens in multiple media area's and it's not something just common to myself but this problem is outlined and asked about all over the internet with no answer for it at all from microsoft which are aware of this but doing nothing to fix it, and others who think they know but don't really! and leave all kinds of workarounds all over the place and everyone is chasing their tails like a dog trying to find a fix for it. I've been searching for over a year now and still nothing so I finally decided to post something out here to see if I could get some kind of new interest in this and get it finally put to bed by someone with more knowledge than myself. We shouldn't have to use any third party media or even have this issue after a fresh install of a Microsoft product, everything should work like clock work. Thank you for your interest and comments but I've tried everything out there and the kitchen sink and nothing helps and like I've said once it happens I can only reboot the system to be able to do anything with my system again, I can't alt tab or alt ctrl alt del I have no mouse no keyboard all I have is a black screen with sound playing from the movie I picked to watch, this same thing happens also to some websites I've been to also that are older and running some sort of media embedded in them, it only has happened a couple of times so far but it does happen, I've checked through my computer and I have all the greatest and latest of Flash DX and any other program that has to do with playing any form of media or file extension. I wish I had more to offer to the world on this all I can do is what I'm doing here, putting as much as I can out there of what has been happening and reassuring everyone that I have the most updated software that is available for my system, I paid for programs to even check and double check my system to make sure I had the right stuff and as far as the world of computers go's I have the latest and greatest of everything. My system as of yesterday is a new system, new motherboard, cpu, memory, cooler, operating system, no money was spared on this system, It rates in the top 1% of the fastest computers in the world, as I've run test and gotten the results from multiple measuring sites, so in short, it's nothing to do with anything other than some sort of glitch conflict or missing file from microsoft most likely, I've seen it in the past we all have LOL, so maybe one day before I die I will see a fix for this.